Back to Windows 2000 i guess :(

Started by Shayne, February 26, 2005, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

So this new "No Internet activation of Windows XP" is gonna put a serious damper on those of us with OEM keys.  Im not sure exactly what the whole ordeal is, but from what i can gather is....if you have an OEM XP Key, and you reinstall windows, or require reactivation you will be required to call Microsoft.  Microsoft will then ask a series of questions before giving you the verification number required to continue.

Now.  My keys are legal in the sense that they came with bought hardware, and are not in use by another computer.   While i didnt buy said hardware, i think that microsoft marrying a cdkey to a piece of hardware is almost unethical?

Take for instance...I buy a new monitor, the place i buy the monitor is having a sale that i can get a copy of XP Pro for $50 with this monitor sale.  I say sure, and buy it.  I get home, and give the copy to a friend as a birthday present....they technically cant use that disk.  Would be in violation of the EULA.

*Shrug*  At least i can always use 2K.

Shayne

Anyone get that "verfy your windows" thing from Microsoft yet?  I got it today for my first time.  I went to get the new WMP from the MIcrosoft site, but it wouldnt let me download it unless i ran this little app and copy+paste the numbers into a box.  Really annoying....

Lazybones

1. went to windows update, tired to update to WMP 10 download didn't start. (could have been just a bad server.. Happens some times.)
2. Searched for Windows media player on microsoft.com got This page. Said no to verifying windows.
3. WMP 10 installer downloaded and ran as ususal.

Windows Update Auto download still seem to be working.

Just rebuilt my system on Thursday, haven't encountered anything that prevented me from updating my system.

Edit: using the windows update website I can't get any of the Optional software to start downloading. No prompt or warning, they just don't start.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Drunkener

I talked to a friend I used to work with (they often still service computers where the users have pirated versions of windows) and they said there is no problem whatsoever.

I dont have the memo but he gave me the basic details which are that the keys that were stolen from Compaq/HP/Dell a few months started showing up in counterfit versions of windows in oem packaging.  This isnt just pirated software, this is software that is counterfit material and made in such a way that the consumer does not know the difference (still has same silver cd, same packaging, they even fake the certificates of authenticity).  The cool thing here is that the suppliers in which these keys were stolen from, had a pretty good inventory system and was able to give Microsoft a list.  So now when somebody tries to do something with a key thats on the bad list, they are supposed to call Microsoft.  Microsoft then pursues them for information about where they bought the copy of windows, and then goes after that store.

Microsoft has already written off the fact that people will always find ways to pirate their software.  Thats not what they are concerned with (in fact its been proven in internal company memos that it boosts sales because of the way it boosts popularity), they are concerned with people SELLING pirated and counterfit versions of their software to consumers who think they are buying the real thing.

Anyways this is the story I got from my friend last week, whats happening now MAY be a different thing altogether.
Greatest Ebay feedback ever: BOUGTH IT FOR MY COUSIN WHO HAD CANCER, ITEM NEVER ARRIVED AND MY COUSIN DIED

Melbosa

Quote from: "Lazybones"1. went to windows update, tired to update to WMP 10 download didn't start. (could have been just a bad server.. Happens some times.)
2. Searched for Windows media player on microsoft.com got This page. Said no to verifying windows.
3. WMP 10 installer downloaded and ran as ususal.

Windows Update Auto download still seem to be working.

Just rebuilt my system on Thursday, haven't encountered anything that prevented me from updating my system.

Edit: using the windows update website I can't get any of the Optional software to start downloading. No prompt or warning, they just don't start.
That's just wierd Lazy, as I have no problems with my version of XP.  Never seen that before at all.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

Validate my windows?  Perhaps its a firefox thing?

As for the OEM thing...i got that from slashdot......

QuoteAs of February 28, Windows users who purchased their PC will no longer be able to reinstall without calling Microsoft and answering a series of questions. The move is part of an anti-piracy effort to close 'a loophole that enabled unscrupulous resellers to use Windows XP product keys that were stolen from large OEMs.' Specifically, Certificate of Authenticity (COA) labels on PCs are often unused because OEMs preinstall Windows and bypass product activation. The product keys can therefore be stolen and reused. First WGA, and now this.

Drunkener

Give IE a try.  I would think that its a browser issue...
Greatest Ebay feedback ever: BOUGTH IT FOR MY COUSIN WHO HAD CANCER, ITEM NEVER ARRIVED AND MY COUSIN DIED

Lazybones

Mine saies now. But I have already downloded it once.
Genuine Microsoft Software

Please click Download to get the download.

I think mine said the same thing the first time through  but had a yes no prompt on the next screen.

Edit: I use FireFox BTW