Vid Card question

Started by Ustauk, November 01, 2005, 07:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

If you are not seeing the Post screen durning boot on both then there is a hardward problem, possibley the addaptor.. I would disconnect it unitll UST can find the one that came with the unit.

Ustauk

Just to confirm, you've tried the video card with a single monitor attached through the dvi to vga adaptor on bootup, with nothing attached to the VGA port?

Ustauk

One more question:  what do you have the refresh rate and resolution set at for the secondary monitor?

Thorin

Quote from: "Ustauk"Just to confirm, you've tried the video card with a single monitor attached through the dvi to vga adaptor on bootup, with nothing attached to the VGA port?

Huh, good question, hadn't thought to try that.  I will right away and let you know :)

Quote from: "Ustauk"One more question: what do you have the refresh rate and resolution set at for the secondary monitor?

When I first installed the card both displays were set to 640x480/60Hz/8 bit colour.  After getting the latest Catalyst drivers (5.11) I set both displays to 1024x768/85Hz/32 bit colour.  After setting that, I tried both monitors on the VGA port and they both worked, and I tried both monitors on the DVI port (with the opposite monitor on the VGA port).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

AGAIN if you don't see the post screen on bother monitors YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

The post screen is before the drivers and is always set to a default safe res and refresh rate.. No matter what the card is set to in the driver in windows you should be seeing everything on both monitors right up until the Windows black screen with the little chaser bar is finished loading.

After that only the primary will display if you do not have auto login and the login screen is displayed.

If all that worked and you get to the desktop the second dispay will only work after the extend desktop setting is set.

Thorin

Yup, got it, 'bones.  I've been wondering all along if the adapter (eg hardware) is converting the signal correctly.  I wish I had an LCD with a DVI plug to test it out :|

Anyway, hopefully Ustauk can find the original adapter and I can try that.  Otherwise, I'll have to contact ATI and ask them if there's a difference between the adapter supplied with the 9800 Pro vs the X850 Pro.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Ustauk

I found the adapter this morning.  I left a message with Thorin, so hopefully we can get together at lunch so I can give the adapter to him.  My monitor was hooked via DVI to that card before I pulled it out that machine, and it was working fine.  If the adapter doesn't work, I can haul my monitor up to Thorin's place and check the port with that.

Mr. Analog

Sadly Dutchor is at home tending to his Evil Horde, I can pick it up from you though, where do you want to meet?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Sadly Dutchor is at home tending to his Evil Horde, I can pick it up from you though, where do you want to meet?

Maybe Queen Donair?

Mr. Analog

How about Hong Kong Delight?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"How about Hong Kong Delight?
Never been, but sure.  11:45 or 12:00?

Mr. Analog

11:45 means we beat the Gov't rush.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"11:45 means we beat the Gov't rush.

K

Mr. Analog

FYI, bring cash! They don't take interac.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh yes, and like most non-American-Fanchise restaurants; no free refills.
By Grabthar's Hammer