Main Menu

Photo Thread

Started by Mr. Analog, March 17, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Wow, you've got a really good eye for this stuff.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 07, 2012, 03:33:39 AM
Wow, you've got a really good eye for this stuff.

Well, it's not like I spend all week thinking about it... oh :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Thorin on July 04, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
I wonder what's planned here?  http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-237/64/470/max/0/0

So this one had a sign without any square brackets so I added them.  The sign said "Roman Temple - Under Construct - Help if - you want"

Quote from: Thorin on July 04, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
and here?  http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-76/64/370/max/0/0

And for this one I built a new station on the C Line; the station is called Platform 9 3/4.  The building will be named once construction is complete (YellowBear's building it :) )
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

http://mc.tomasu.org/#/744/64/-2319/max/0/0

New Old Kingdom (or Old New Kingdom?  Can't remember) being built by LuckyCh4rms.

Man, our server has a lot of neat little builds going on...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

This is my newly built refinery and buildcraft engine setup.

The group of five combustion engines in the back left power the refinery, pump, and massive quarry (automatic miner). The back right is a stack of water tanks to store the water that keeps the combustion engines cool, behind the tanks is a secondary water pump powered only by "Free" redstone engines, as the main water pump is powered by the engines themselves, and if I have to turn the engines off for some reason, well no water gets pumped to fill up the tanks (as the main reason I have to mess with that stuff is that the tanks run dry and the engines start to overheat. I've had them blow up once, and /almost/ blow up a couple more times since). Front right is my stack of oil tanks, which is supplied from a very massive oil field several hundred blocks away (500+?) which is also powered by those 5 combustion engines via a power teleport pipe, and it returns the oil via a liquid teleport pipe. Front center is the refinery which turns the oil into fuel, it is also powered by the 5 engines (via conductive pipe). Front left is the stack of fuel tanks which power the engines themselves.

Once primed (and setup properly) a system like this can power itself indefinitely (watch out for too many things shutting off at once, if the combustion engines are on, and have nothing to do, they WILL overheat and explode. My next improvement will have to be some way to detect that the quarry the oil pump, and the refinery have finished, so I can shut down the engines automatically.

Lots of fun. With this setup I have a 63x63 area being dug down to bedrock collecting every single block. Gravel, Dirt, Sand and Cobble all get sent into an energy condenser which takes items, and converts them into EMC which is Equivelent Exchange's type of "energy". Every block known to EE has an EMC value which lets it be converted between blocks. For example, dirt, cobble sand and gravel are all worth 1 EMC. A diamond is worth 8192 EMC. Yeah. That's a lot of EMC. So right now my energy condensor is set to turn any blocks fed into it, into diamonds. I'm mainly using it for storage purposes. Diamonds take up a lot less room than INF stacks of garbage blocks, and I can always convert them back to cobble and such when I need some. The quarry feeds the blocks into a sorting system that sorts Ores, "valuable stuff" (gems, diamonds, redstone, etc), garbage (dirt, cobble, gravel and sand), and misc (wood, fence, chests, string, marble, clay, basalt, etc) into separate chests for later use.

It's all pretty neat. Except when I try to be clever. I thought I'd attempt to speed up my refinery just now by adding that fifth engine. Sadly it was not to be, and while I was writing this post, they all exploded! I think I'll have to stick with 4. I don't think 4 ever exploded on their own. Sad though, the refinery is going a lot slower than I'd like.

Once I have a good stock pile of things like basalt, marble and clay, I'm going to make a new base. Something really awesome. Proper auto sorting, smelting, and some auto crafting :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Is Equivalent Exchange a separate mod?  If so, I wouldn't mind that on the vanilla server.  I wouldn't mind RedPower for the ability to improve on our redstone circuits, and EnderStorage for easy-peasy sharing of inventory with others.  However, I'm not interested in a full-scale mod of the vanilla server to include all these new gadgets.

Also, quite the complex setup you have there.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 07, 2012, 05:15:23 PM
Is Equivalent Exchange a separate mod?  If so, I wouldn't mind that on the vanilla server.  I wouldn't mind RedPower for the ability to improve on our redstone circuits, and EnderStorage for easy-peasy sharing of inventory with others.  However, I'm not interested in a full-scale mod of the vanilla server to include all these new gadgets.

EE and RP are a good chunk of the mods on Tekkit. Other than that theres BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft (awesome electicity based machines, like faster furnaces).

Quote from: Thorin on July 07, 2012, 05:15:23 PM
Also, quite the complex setup you have there.
Could be a LOT more complex if I didn't use the teleport pipes mod for BuildCraft. Without them, I'd have a lot more pipes running everywhere. And one pipe going all the way out to the oil patch which is at least 400-500 blocks away. Completely ridiculous. So ridiculous that I'm putting up with how the teleport pipes crash the client once in a while when you go into their gui.

If everyone is up for a couple mods like RP and EE, I might try putting up a test server on my dedicated server (it sees a lot less downtime as of late, that I can tell anyhow). But that will have to wait till my last "customer" moves off the server. He has a 1G vm on it, and that's the memory I'd allocate to a MC server ;D If it works well enough, I'd move the server there permanently.

Tom

I do want to say that it really isn't as complex as it looks if you take it one piece at a time. If I tried to design this entire setup from scratch all at once, I would have a rather hard time with it. Instead, I just build a bit at a time and integrate new stuff as I go. That way its a lot easier to understand. And then things are pretty modular.

Also, if you get into BuildCraft, keep your combustion and steam engines AWAY from valuable stuff. If they do explode, you want to keep them from blowing up your stuff.

Mr. Analog

Better photos now that I have windows and some interior stuff!

Next build is the hospital.

Then I need building ideas.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Very nice!  One of my daughters saw that last one from across the room and asked where that was.  I said, "Minecraft", she said, "Oh, it looked real!".  So kudos :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 08, 2012, 01:51:41 PM
Very nice!  One of my daughters saw that last one from across the room and asked where that was.  I said, "Minecraft", she said, "Oh, it looked real!".  So kudos :)

Thanks! Yeah the water shader mod really adds to it I think.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Tekkit stuff:

-My house, with the factory under it.
-My Type 1 (safe) Reactor
-My processing room
-House / Factory in the middle, reactor to the right and you can just see a bit of my automated Quarry on the far right.

Today I built an electric jetpack, wrench and a mining laser and a fully functioning reactor!

It was expensive but worth it... I HAVE THE POWERRRRRR
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I just took some shots of my latest home:

And the same shot at night:

Plus one of kdevil's hourglass: