Main Menu

Photo Thread

Started by Mr. Analog, March 17, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 06, 2012, 04:21:41 PM
I wonder whose this is?  http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-805/64/1134/max/0/0

I'm also still looking for Lenny's underwater dome :)

Hmm, not sure!
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

QuoteI'm also still looking for Lenny's underwater dome

And there's so much ocean to search.

Thorin

Quote from: LennyLen on September 06, 2012, 11:06:02 PM
QuoteI'm also still looking for Lenny's underwater dome

And there's so much ocean to search.

Now you're just being mean.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Pants

Ignore this post if you hate "cheaty mob spawner farms" :)

So I found a couple of very close cave spider spawners, and decided to link them together for a spider eye/string farm.

I enclosed them both in a 8x8x4 area, and put in redstone lamps to turn them on and off.  I had to take a brief trip to the nether for the glowstone - fortunately I found some easy-to-harvest glowstone very close to my nether portal.  I added more redstone so I can turn all the spawning on or off with the flick of a lever.

Here's one spawner, after I added the water streams to get the spiders to where I want them.  It asks them very nicely.

The other spawner.

Here's where the water streams carry the spiders.  Both spawners carry the spiders to a single collection point.  An iron bar holds them in place and allows me to whack them to death with a sword.  I would prefer to have a lava trap to kill them instantly, but cave spiders are only 1x1 and their drops burn up in a lava trap.  I might try playing around with a drowning trap at some point (or maybe cactii?).  I also added some pistons so I can shut off the spiders from collecting under the iron bar whilst I go in and gather the drops.

This was a very fun build and it's the kind of stuff I love doing in minecraft.

Tom

That's pretty cool. I think monkeyfarm (a minecraft youtuber) has a similar setup, and he uses potions to mostly do the spiders in I think. He may have also added a piston to crush them? But I can't remember for sure.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Pants

Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2012, 08:58:47 PM
That's pretty cool. I think monkeyfarm (a minecraft youtuber) has a similar setup, and he uses potions to mostly do the spiders in I think. He may have also added a piston to crush them? But I can't remember for sure.

Splash potions of poison don't work on spiders.   The instant damage ones probably do, but I don't have any netherwart so I can't use that option.  The piston crusher also works well (and I've made such a thing in one of my old worlds http://imgur.com/HDl4T), but piston crushers are really resource unfriendly and awkward to build.  The wiring is complex and I'm not sure if I want to build that thing again.

A stack of stone swords works just fine, and I don't want to AFK in front of my spawners anyways.  I might as well swing a sword while they are active.

Tom

Quote from: Pants on September 07, 2012, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2012, 08:58:47 PM

Splash potions of poison don't work on spiders.   The instant damage ones probably do, but I don't have any netherwart so I can't use that option.  The piston crusher also works well (and I've made such a thing in one of my old worlds http://imgur.com/HDl4T), but piston crushers are really resource unfriendly and awkward to build.  The wiring is complex and I'm not sure if I want to build that thing again.
Hmm, I meant more of a button or lever next to the place you'd stand to slash the spiders, which activates a piston beside/under the block the spiders tend to get stuck on. I can't imagine that taking too much resources unless you want to get super fancy.

Quote from: Pants on September 07, 2012, 09:34:39 PM
A stack of stone swords works just fine, and I don't want to AFK in front of my spawners anyways.  I might as well swing a sword while they are active.
Yeah. It's up to you. It's not like you're probably short on cobble ;D

Pants

Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2012, 10:31:34 PMHmm, I meant more of a button or lever next to the place you'd stand to slash the spiders, which activates a piston beside/under the block the spiders tend to get stuck on. I can't imagine that taking too much resources unless you want to get super fancy.

Ooh, I see what you mean.  Activate the pistons to trap them in, then activate another piston to smash them against against something solid so they die a horrible smashy death and drop me some sweet spider eyes and string.

Tom

Quote from: Pants on September 07, 2012, 11:09:15 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2012, 10:31:34 PMHmm, I meant more of a button or lever next to the place you'd stand to slash the spiders, which activates a piston beside/under the block the spiders tend to get stuck on. I can't imagine that taking too much resources unless you want to get super fancy.

Ooh, I see what you mean.  Activate the pistons to trap them in, then activate another piston to smash them against against something solid so they die a horrible smashy death and drop me some sweet spider eyes and string.
Or even just get them most of the way dead, so you can also get xp :)

Pants

Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2012, 11:14:12 PM

I also found a skeleton spawner whist traversing the abandoned mineshaft.  If I were to make a pure xp farm, I'd use skeletons.  They are way easier to deal with.

Tom

Quote from: Pants on September 07, 2012, 11:36:38 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2012, 11:14:12 PM

I also found a skeleton spawner whist traversing the abandoned mineshaft.  If I were to make a pure xp farm, I'd use skeletons.  They are way easier to deal with.
Well it'd be optional if you wanted to keep them alive :)

That monkeyfarm dude has a killer zp farm. massive.

Pants

Messing with a skeleton spawner.  Is this thing off-center?  Why in the world would I do that?

Thorin

Yeah it's off-center, but then the spawnable area for such a mob spawner is counted from one of its corners, not from its center, thus if you picked the right corner to base the count from, then no harm no foul.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Pants

Quote from: Thorin on September 08, 2012, 10:15:21 PM
Yeah it's off-center, but then the spawnable area for such a mob spawner is counted from one of its corners, not from its center, thus if you picked the right corner to base the count from, then no harm no foul.

I picked the right corner :)  It really makes mob spawners awkward-looking from the outside though.

I decided to make this spawner trap look nice.  My cave spider traps look all ugly.  I'm going to carve out a lot of cave space to make everything visible and I'm using stone brick on all the surfaces.

I also made a small start on my hostile mob farm.
http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-5688/64/3821/max/0/0

I just know I'm gonna fall to my death many times while building it.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer