Main Menu

Photo Thread

Started by Mr. Analog, March 17, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

That's a really cool micro Gotham, but I'm looking more at The Jetsons for inspiration...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 30, 2014, 02:56:40 PM
That's a really cool micro Gotham, but I'm looking more at The Jetsons for inspiration...

Most of the model buildings are Googie / Streamline Moderne designs in the link

Other inspirations could come from Star Trek (ToS) matte paintings, or some inspirational google searches and find stuff like this: The Villa Roma hotel:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WWIxnOVuLaI/TVzPfbleWyI/AAAAAAAABlA/QfY_igtactk/s1600/roma01.jpg

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Well this is a thing:

Something I've been playing with off and on for a while as part of my minecraft tools. So far it loads an entire chunk and you can tilt it and zoom. woo. also the leaf, grass and log textures are hacked in (a core library needs some changes to make those work).

Mr. Analog

Nice! So it let's you play around with a single chunk?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

At the moment. but it'll render a whole map eventually. be like a nice viewer. It's kindof a learning project. There's so much about a voxel based 3d engine that interests me in just how to make it work as efficiently as possible. It ain't easy.

That one chunk is 15MB of vertex data. And I'm not even including normals or colors.

At the very least, each chunk will need to render all by itself, and potentially I'll split up each "slice" of a chunk into its own separately renderable object. Other things like ray-tracing to check for visible areas could cut down on the amount needing to be rendered. Question is if the effort is worth it. Often any type of culling you do on the cpu ends up just getting in the way (except for extremely complex regular 3d environments that are a lot less dynamic) and letting the GPU do it all is a lot faster.

We'll see where things go. but it's been kinda fun so far. Just got the texture atlasing working this morning. was so hippy.

Tom

Booyah:

Smells like progress.

But holy god is it slow. hahaha.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Snowie0wl

The "TeleGrotto" is more of a mega-build than it's size would initially suggest. The screen is made by tiling two maps in a Truchet pattern. That sheep has no idea how many of his kind were harmed in the production of this screen. Planet Bob [-1540, 73, 138]

This "Star Hill" (made with AAran007) is based loosely off of the one in Super Mario RPG. I used "wishes" taken from the Righteous Wrath Forums (some ripped terribly out of context). See how many wishes you can spot and if they have come to fruition. Planet Bob [-2117, 72, 1114]

Can I get privileges to make command blocks? Although I like not warping when creating things, those places are not easy to visit.

Thorin

Okay, I gotta log in to see that TeleGrotto build, that is just incredible.  That's what it actually looks like?  And you did it using maps?

Star Hill is really cool, too, I imagine that took a bit of time.  The pipe out front looks perfect, mate!

edit: I just checked out TeleGrotto, and sir, my mind is blown!  That really, really, is the pattern on the TV!  I can't even imagine how you created that pattern...

edit edit: okay, I think I figured it out - you created a custom wool pixel art of the right size (was it 128x128 or 1024x1024?), then mapped it, then just made copies of the map?  VERY COOL
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Snowie0wl

Thanks! You pretty much got it. It's made with two 128x128 sections + border (so height difference isn't shown at the edges) for a total of a little over 33,000 wool. Two maps were made and then copied. They are rotated when placed to achieve the rest of the effect.

It's not over 1 million blocks, though that does sound evil... The eyesore is tucked away in the ocean to the south, as my overviewer simulation shows. I might put a water curtain on either side of it if the overviewer resumes updating.

Thorin

Or you could turn that into a Super Base...  Put stripey black and white houses on it, or something.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I don't have much lapis lazuli left anymore... or sand... or quartz... or redstone

but it was worth it

Also SEUS is working pretty well on my machine
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Damn your amazing builds.