Main Menu

Gone Fishing

Started by LennyLen, August 17, 2022, 05:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I want to get a book of mending, so I've been doing some fishing.  To maximize returns, I crafted this:

It has the maximum levels for the two fishing specific enchantments, and also mending. Mending is more powerful on a fishing rod than on other tools, as a fishing rod will only lose durability if the catch is successful, and since a successful catch will give xp, the mending kicks in automatically. But what makes it even better is that the rod only loses one durability point when successful, and the xp cost of mending only kicks in when mending two or more durability at a time, so mending the rod has no xp cost.

This of course makes the unbreaking enchantment redundant, since it doesn't matter if the rod loses durability more often, as it's going to be mended for free instantly.

My results with it have been netting me a book about every 15 minutes, which is about the rate I expected, since Lure III reduces the wait time to a maximum of 15 seconds which results in at least four catches per minute, or 240 per hour.  There's a 1.9% chance of getting an enchanted book with Luck of the Sea III, which is roughly one in 50 catches.  With 240+ catches per hour, that should be about five or more an hour. My results were lower than that as I was also watching Family Guy so missed a few fish.

I haven't got a book of mending yet, but did get a couple of quite nice books.  I also got enough other rods to craft a second rod identical to the above one, but with Lure II instead of Lure III.  I'll leave it at the spawn for anyone who wants to do some fishing.  It shouldn't be too hard to get it to Lure III either.  When I was trying to enchant my second rod with Lure II to combine with the first one I had, I got it on the second try at the enchanting table.

Lazybones

I was prepping to make a villager trading post last time I was playing. I think that is how I got mending last time.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on August 17, 2022, 06:09:52 PMI was prepping to make a villager trading post last time I was playing. I think that is how I got mending last time.

I think that is a more reliable method of obtaining books of enchanting.  But it's a lot more complicated, so I'll use it only if I give up on fishing.

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on August 17, 2022, 06:21:56 PMI think that is a more reliable method of obtaining books of enchanting.  But it's a lot more complicated, so I'll use it only if I give up on fishing.

I have already collected villagers and transported them all the way to my base. I have a breeding farm there, no matter what they are a huge PITA to move however.. Was planning on making an iron farm first, followed maybe by an automatic carrot / potato farm as that sets up a renewable source of emeralds to trade.

However just have not been in the mood to play lately.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on August 17, 2022, 06:34:41 PMI have already collected villagers and transported them all the way to my base. I have a breeding farm there, no matter what they are a huge PITA to move however.. Was planning on making an iron farm first, followed maybe by an automatic carrot / potato farm as that sets up a renewable source of emeralds to trade.

I decided after a while that fishing is just too tedious, so now that I'm back from my holiday I'm going to get some villagers from the village NE of my base.

I remember you saying a while back that you were getting raids at your base due to the villagers. This worries me as I visited your base to check it out after you said that and they killed me in less than 10 seconds, and it took me a while to lure them far enough away from my stuff to retrieve it, and a few pieces despawned, so I definitely don't want that happening anywhere near my base.

So I plan to move the villagers to the desert island at the bottom here:

It's just big enough to nicely hold a villager breeding system and Trading Hall and with there being open sea on most sides it won't take too many torches to light up the area.  It's also not a terribly long trip to make from the village.

I still wouldn't want to trigger raid there either though, but I guess that if any illagers come, it'll be from the mainland, and I should be able to lead them away from the island before they get near it.  Then I just have to wait out the Bad Omen before I go back. As far as I know, that should stop any raids from happening there.

The wiki says this about triggering raids: "A player with the Bad Omen status effect triggers a raid upon entering a chunk with at least one villager and a claimed bed, or one of the 8 chunks surrounding it in a square. In Java Edition, a villager with a claimed bell or job site block can also trigger a raid, even if no claimed beds are present."  The last sentence, on it's own, is a bit ambiguous as to whether a villager can trigger a raid when a player doesn't have bad omen, but my interpretation is that that both conditions must be met.  Do you know if this is correct?

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on August 22, 2022, 10:00:51 PMThe wiki says this about triggering raids: "A player with the Bad Omen status effect triggers a raid upon entering a chunk with at least one villager and a claimed bed, or one of the 8 chunks surrounding it in a square. In Java Edition, a villager with a claimed bell or job site block can also trigger a raid, even if no claimed beds are present."  The last sentence, on it's own, is a bit ambiguous as to whether a villager can trigger a raid when a player doesn't have bad omen, but my interpretation is that that both conditions must be met.  Do you know if this is correct?

I thought the beds applied to both but I have already removed all of the beds so I just looked into it more.

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Raid

IN this one it states it has to be triggered by a player with bad omen in a village.

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Village

A subchunk is a "village center" if it contains at least one claimed bed, bell, or job site block. The 26 subchunks in a 3×3×3 cube around such a subchunk are also considered part of a village.

So it looks like just having the claimed job site blocks is enough, which means any trading hall will need to be make illager proof.

These mechanics have changed a few times.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on August 22, 2022, 10:37:40 PMSo it looks like just having the claimed job site blocks is enough, which means any trading hall will need to be make illager proof.

I just read that Pillager patrols require light of 7 or lower to spawn.  I thought they could spawn at any light level, due to past experiences, but I must have just had gaps in my lighting then. The lighting job I've just done on the island and surrounding mainland should be sufficient.  I will also enclose the trading hall and breeding system, and probably also build a wall around the majority of the island.

LennyLen

Mission Successful!

So I now have this Netherite pickaxe:

It should, by my reckoning, be the best pickaxe you can have without using commands.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Imagine using Blockslayer in the Nether, you could just run and hold the button, and it'd sound like a full-auto machine gun being fired.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

LennyLen

Quote from: Thorin on August 23, 2022, 06:07:20 PMImagine using Blockslayer in the Nether, you could just run and hold the button, and it'd sound like a full-auto machine gun being fired.

I'm tempted to try it, but knowing my luck I'd run straight into a lava pocket.