Where the Characters at?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 10, 2011, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2011, 12:52:51 PM
You gonna be okay to come out tomorrow? I know what it's like getting used to new drugs (a pain in the butt!)

If they're hurting your butt, are you sure you're taking them correctly? :D
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 15, 2011, 03:03:42 PM
N[W] means that you roll the weapon dice N times.  If you use a longsword, its weapon die is 1d8.  For a 1[W] hit, you roll 1[1d8], or 1d8.  For a 2[W] hit, you roll 2[1d8], or 2d8.  There's a weapon (falchion, I think?) for which the weapon dice is 2d4.  So for a 1[W] hit, you roll 1[2d4], or 2d4, and for a 2[W] hit, you roll 2[2d4], or 4d4.

Keep in mind that things added to that are normally not multiplied.  If you have Strength of 16 (+3) and you're using a longsword (1d8), 1[W]+Str is 1d8+3 and 2[W]+Str is 2d8+3.  4th edition tries really hard to keep people from stacking all kinds of bonuses together to make broken characters like you could in 3rd.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are four defenses: AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.  Of these, AC is usually a couple of points higher.  Of these, AC is the most likely defense when swinging a weapon.  But weapons add a proficiency bonus to offset the slightly higher average AC vs the other defenses.  Some weapons give +2 to the attack, others +3, but of course only if you're proficient with them.  Generally it's a tradeoff between a better chance to hit (+3 instead of +2) and more damage (1d8 instead of 1d10).  Oh, and military weapons are better than simple weapons, that's just how it goes.
Thats what I thought, thanks Thorin :)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 15, 2011, 03:04:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2011, 12:52:51 PM
You gonna be okay to come out tomorrow? I know what it's like getting used to new drugs (a pain in the butt!)

If they're hurting your butt, are you sure you're taking them correctly? :D
lol.

Melbosa

Then there are special attributes on weapons as well, such as Versatile (Weapon can be 1H or 2H, and add +1 dmg if used 2H) or Brutal (Brutal 2 means you roll a 1 or 2 on the damage dice - any of the damage dice, you re-roll that die.  Craghammer is an example of a special attributed weapon - in fact it has the two special attributes I listed.

These aren't always listed on the Power Cards, so you have to remember them separately.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Another question, I'm having trouble figuring out where the info for the VM you (Melbosa) have the tools installed at...

Nevermind that question. Now I just need to figure out what weapons are best.. I'm thinking dual shortswords or something similar. And maybe throwing axes if they exist (do they?).

Thorin

Weird, a mobile dual-wielding dragonborn tank.  Never even knew you could do that :)

Might be better to have a larger weapon in the main hand...  You'll do that bit extra damage.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 15, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
Weird, a mobile dual-wielding dragonborn tank.  Never even knew you could do that :)

Might be better to have a larger weapon in the main hand...  You'll do that bit extra damage.
Just imagine in your head, a massive whirlwind of steel bearing down on you ;D

But yeah, a larger sword might make sense, especially if a larger single enemy needs to be dropped, I can drop the short sword and dual-hand the larger sword. Though a few of my exploits depend on dual wielding, so yeah..

Thorin

Thanks for hosting, Mr. A.  Sorry we stayed so late chatting afterwards.

Thanks for DMing, Mel.  I liked that you started with a small encounter and worked your way up to a large one, and then threw in a skill challenge as well.  Setting us up to be the heroes who (hopefully) save the keep from the siege is cool, too.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Yeah I had fun. Had a hard time figuring out things to say as Rhogar, but had fun :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 18, 2011, 09:46:24 AM

Heh-heh, all part of th' plan I knew we'd talk after the session :D instead of going to bed at 3 AM I was in bed at 1:30 AM :D

Quote from: Thorin on April 18, 2011, 09:46:24 AMThanks for DMing, Mel.  I liked that you started with a small encounter and worked your way up to a large one, and then threw in a skill challenge as well.  Setting us up to be the heroes who (hopefully) save the keep from the siege is cool, too.

Yes, that WAS a lot of fun! I'm really looking forward to the next adventure!

Hi-ya!!

Quote from: Tom on April 18, 2011, 09:51:22 AM
Yeah I had fun. Had a hard time figuring out things to say as Rhogar, but had fun :)

It'll come to you, just think WWRD: "What Would Rogar Do?"

I like how my monk is becoming a brash smartass with good intentions :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 18, 2011, 10:54:23 AM
Quote from: Thorin on April 18, 2011, 09:46:24 AM

Heh-heh, all part of th' plan I knew we'd talk after the session :D instead of going to bed at 3 AM I was in bed at 1:30 AM :D

Quote from: Thorin on April 18, 2011, 09:46:24 AMThanks for DMing, Mel.  I liked that you started with a small encounter and worked your way up to a large one, and then threw in a skill challenge as well.  Setting us up to be the heroes who (hopefully) save the keep from the siege is cool, too.

Yes, that WAS a lot of fun! I'm really looking forward to the next adventure!

Hi-ya!!

Quote from: Tom on April 18, 2011, 09:51:22 AM

It'll come to you, just think WWRD: "What Would Rogar Do?"

I like how my monk is becoming a brash smartass with good intentions :D
On the way home I thought maybe he should get some throwing hammers and say something like "By Kord's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged" when a player is attacked.

No? ;D

Mr. Analog

Haha, sounds good to me, never hurts to think about what your character might say in a given conversation!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I thought maybe it was a little too SciFi'y for D&D ;D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 18, 2011, 07:56:20 PM
I thought maybe it was a little too SciFi'y for D&D ;D

?? I lost the reference, sorry. Fantasy Fiction maybe (which fits), but Science Fiction?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Galaxy Quest

I think it fits, really it isn't far removed from Heman's battlecry.