Experimental Tekkit Server

Started by Tom, May 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So I thought I'd play around with Tekkit (Technic Pack for SMP), and set it up today. server: mc.tomasu.org:25566

Sevalecan and I have been playing around a bit tonight:

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

That looks weird.  Almost like a world hole.  Did you make that on purpose?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 11, 2012, 10:56:16 PM
Yeah, with a bunch of Nukes. We've cleaned it up a bunch after that though. now its a perfect circle with a big ass glass dome on top. Still not sure what we're going to put inside.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 11, 2012, 10:59:54 PM
Yeah, with a bunch of Nukes. We've cleaned it up a bunch after that though. now its a perfect circle with a big ass glass dome on top. Still not sure what we're going to put inside.

Dinosaurs?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 12, 2012, 01:47:53 PM

Dinosaurs?
I thought a giant creeper statue might be cool, but its been done over and over :(

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 12, 2012, 04:29:02 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 12, 2012, 01:47:53 PM

Dinosaurs?
I thought a giant creeper statue might be cool, but its been done over and over :(

Make one out of TNT!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Moar Pictures!

From my desktop this time with the settings cranked.

The last couple are using painterly \o/

Tom

So I started playing on the server the past couple days. I have to say its a lot of fun. First time I had a really good reason to make a run to the Nether. And god was that a bitch. Gate spawned with 2-4 gasts close by, which almost immediately blew out the gate (I had no tinder), and killed me. Fun times. Also there seems to be a nether fortress really close to the gate :o

In/near my house I've set up a solar farm, a geo-thermal generator, a normal generator (much like a furnace, except it outputs EU rather than heat), with several tools hooked up, like the mining rig, a couple electric furnaces, the Macerator (which grinds up ores, 2 ore powders for 1 ore block, 1 powder makes 1 brick), a canning machine (cans stuff, like food, or fuel sources), an extractor for getting rubber out of resin or rubber tree.

Next I might expand my solar farm a bit. Then after I may start playing with more than just IndustrialCraft.

I think this is the most fun I've had playing minecraft.

Lazybones

Sounds cool yet very complicated.

Tom

I'd have to say its less complicated than vanila redstone, and probably less complicated than vanila mine carts. Especially if you want to compare against pre 1.0 mine carts. Things tend to work how they are explained, so there aren't many bugs you have to work around.

And man I really love the electric furnaces and macerator, and the fact that you can put wood into the furnace, turn it into charcoal for A LOT less EU than you get from then putting that charcoal into the generator. It's awesome.

Tekkit makes minecraft considerably less tedious for me, so I don't get bored near so quickly. But its still fun and interesting since so much has been added to the game, and its not like there are any super hacks available at this level that just give me free stuff. Sure the miner comes close, and the Divining Rod could be considered a "HAX!!!!!" but none of them give you instant riches. They all either take time, and/or a lot of valuable resources to build and operate.

If more people come play, I may turn my current base into the starter/spawn station. Once I start using build craft, it'll be a lot easier to start playing with many of the more complex machines (nuclear reactor anyone? how about a mass fabricator? wireless power transmitter? Or a teleporter?).

I will need to redesign my house to fit all kinds of new and wonderful stuff into it anyhow. So we'll see :)

I won't stop playing vanila. I see the two as two separate games. Both have their fun.

Mr. Analog

I guess the main difference I see is the variety of items you can craft.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Does this server include RedPower?  One of the biggest initial hurdles that's removed with RedPower is running redstone power lines.  Suddenly you can go up, down, sideways, and through blocks without taking up 4000 cubic meters (20x20x10).  That makes building _anything_ easier.  Then on top of that there are a bunch of new things to craft, which in turn give you whole new options for interesting builds.

But vanilla Minecraft would be greatly improved if redstone was easier to work with.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 22, 2012, 01:57:42 PM
I guess the main difference I see is the variety of items you can craft.
That is a large part of it. But a good bunch of those items are very "end game", and can take MANY diamonds to build, so you need many of the "convenient" tools you get allong the way in order to even get far enough to make a bunch of things (anti-grav boots? jet pack? invincible armour?).

Quote from: Thorin on May 22, 2012, 02:03:53 PM
Does this server include RedPower?  One of the biggest initial hurdles that's removed with RedPower is running redstone power lines.  Suddenly you can go up, down, sideways, and through blocks without taking up 4000 cubic meters (20x20x10).  That makes building _anything_ easier.  Then on top of that there are a bunch of new things to craft, which in turn give you whole new options for interesting builds.

But vanilla Minecraft would be greatly improved if redstone was easier to work with.
Yeah, It has RedPower, IC2, RailCraft, BuildCraft and a bunch of other things.

Tekkit 3 is "coming soon" with RedPower 2 :o which should be VERY exciting.

Lazybones

At the moment redpower is the main thing I would be interested in, although the mining machines and the ability to build stuff on movable platforms is also really high up there on my want list.

Mr. Analog

Is this server still going? What version is it on? What do I need locally?

I may try it out...

EDIT: This has nothing to do with Sjin and Sips_ playing Tekkit with Duncan...

NOTHING AT ALL

damn yogscast...
By Grabthar's Hammer