Main Menu

Stolen Items

Started by Melbosa, March 26, 2012, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Anyone else having things missing from their treasure chests in their homes?  I have stacks of stuff missing that was there on Friday.  Do Mobs steel from chests?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I haven't noticed anything. While the server isn't public, it isn't locked down either. I'll hack up my script to track users, and see if anything is up. (I'm still in the process of re-writing it to be more modular as the code was getting annoying).

I doubt anyone that I know that uses it would just outright steal stacks of stuff. unless it was like sand or something.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

I saw a name on last night for a very short time that I had not seen before... Didn't get a chance to chat with them and don't remember it exactly...

Haven't had anything taken, but I am WAY far away from the default spawn...

Thorin

If you steal stuff from someone, does it port over to other servers?  Or is it only of use on the server that you stole it on?  If the latter, what would be the point of anyone stealing stuff since you all know each other (unless there's an unknown user on there?)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Stewie521

Quote from: Thorin on March 26, 2012, 01:04:30 PM
If you steal stuff from someone, does it port over to other servers?  Or is it only of use on the server that you stole it on?  If the latter, what would be the point of anyone stealing stuff since you all know each other (unless there's an unknown user on there?)

It doesn't go over to other servers. That act is known as griefing. Very annoying. There's also griefers who will join a server, run around destroying and stealing stuff. Most of them don't care if they get banned, they had no intentions of actually playing.

Sadly, I have also known this as well. I had a CRAP ton of wood stolen from me (Double chest half full) from a guy, don't remember the name, as I didn't think he would do that. Said he got the IP from Lazy, had a Master Chief skin. There's also some bookshelves missing from my house.

Stewie521

I would very strongly suggest putting a whitelist up. I've noticed a lot of stuff being messed with at my places. There was dirt blocking my doors at my empire building, there's redstone on the floors in my basement, which i have specified people stay out of. I'm missing over 21 gunpowder... my wood is back, my stone is now missing with half my coal...

That would be nice if we could get one, here I'll post some names to help make it:
LUCKYCH4RMS
Melbosa
bag0bones
Mr_Analog
Tom
Spectre (Forgot the begining)

Let me know if I'm missing anyone, that's all I've really seen there

Tom

A friend of mine who goes by the nick Sevalecan is now playing on the server. But at most I think he'd only borrow a little, like enough to make a cobble pick or something.

Though he did raid somoene's wheat farm. But I assume he replanted it.

Mr. Analog

Sounds like griefing to me, why people do that is beyond me. Maybe we should set a whitelist or something.

I mean someone could do a lot of damage with just a flint and tinder (lots of closely packed trees etc)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2012, 01:44:39 PM
Sounds like griefing to me, why people do that is beyond me. Maybe we should set a whitelist or something.

I mean someone could do a lot of damage with just a flint and tinder (lots of closely packed trees etc)
I keep the server log open, and so far I haven't seen anyone connect that I I don't know or that you guys don't know. I plan on setting up a page to see who's been playing, maybe even display the server log in real time.

Also any mod is capable of spawning back in lost stuff. This is another case of when I think its ok to spawn. Griefing or Server crashes/bugs causing lost stuff.

Mr. Analog

K, well hopefully everyone playing abides by common courtesy. At any rate, if I'm on tonight and you see me Mel let me know what was stolen and I'll get it back for you.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2012, 01:59:35 PM
K, well hopefully everyone playing abides by common courtesy. At any rate, if I'm on tonight and you see me Mel let me know what was stolen and I'll get it back for you.
Everyone on the list above should afaik. I don't know Stewies friend but I assume he's ok.

It sounds and awful like a server bug, if things are appearing and disappearing.

Mr. Analog

Either way I guess just let us know what's missing.

I know I'll be going through my inventory after work to ensure the critical stuff is still there. Otherwise: high tech secret hidey hole for the good stuff!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2012, 02:07:32 PM
Either way I guess just let us know what's missing.

I know I'll be going through my inventory after work to ensure the critical stuff is still there. Otherwise: high tech secret hidey hole for the good stuff!
I'm going to start working on my fancy hidden door again :)

Mr. Analog

I'm thinking the exact same thing heh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Stewie521 on March 26, 2012, 01:12:42 PM
Sadly, I have also known this as well. I had a CRAP ton of wood stolen from me (Double chest half full) from a guy, don't remember the name, as I didn't think he would do that. Said he got the IP from Lazy, had a Master Chief skin. There's also some bookshelves missing from my house.

I would like to know the screen name, since I have only let two people know about the server... it might be a case if ignorance that can be easily corrected.