Extreme Lag - Server

Started by Melbosa, June 04, 2012, 07:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Getting Rubberbanding and re-mining going on.  Not only one on server experiencing same problem.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I haven't noticed anything locally. If you guys could log back in and let me know when you're on, maybe that'd trigger issues?

It may also just be my internets. speedtest thinks up/down bw is ok. but you never know.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Turns out it was Lenny, he had some crazy mobs count in his XP grinder.  Killed them all and then everything went fine.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on June 04, 2012, 09:39:35 PM
Turns out it was Lenny, he had some crazy mobs count in his XP grinder.  Killed them all and then everything went fine.
Sounds about right. Can a auto-killer contraption be added to the grinder? I've seen some where if you flip a lever, it moves some pistons to kill the mobs. That doesn't really solve more coming.. But another I saw had a lever to open up a lava pit under the mobs, if that is left open when not in use, it could solve that particular issue.

Thorin

Yeah, he uses splash potions of healing to kill them so he'll idle for an hour or more letting them build up.  Me, I wake all the skellies with bread so I'm too impatient to idle for an hour.  Plus that way I can hit an exact level :)

The whole point of letting them build up is to get the xp, you wouldn't want them to fall in lava!  Remember that the spawners only work if a player is within 17 blocks x, y, or z from it.  So if you're more than one chunk away, the spawner's doing diddly squat.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Yeah he said he was idling for 4 hours instead of 1 lol.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on June 04, 2012, 09:50:47 PM
Yeah he said he was idling for 4 hours instead of 1 lol.
Heh. Yeah. Bad lenny. bad.

I could whip up a cron job to auto restart the server if minecraft's cpu use is too high for too long.

Thorin

Or we could train the players so that the rest don't lose whatever they've been working on when the server restarts?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 04, 2012, 09:57:26 PM
Or we could train the players so that the rest don't lose whatever they've been working on when the server restarts?
I'm betting it'd only kick in when the load is so high that people have probably already disconnected out of frustration.

What do you mean lose whatever they are working on? A proper restart shouldn't lose anything. And a warning would be made prior to the restart. "Restart in X minutes" or something.

Just an option. Not mandating it or anything.

Thorin

If I'm idling for my XP farm and the server is restarted, wouldn't all mobs de-spawn?  Otherwise, what's the point of restarting since it's the presence of all those mobs causing a problem?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 04, 2012, 10:02:26 PM
If I'm idling for my XP farm and the server is restarted, wouldn't all mobs de-spawn?  Otherwise, what's the point of restarting since it's the presence of all those mobs causing a problem?
Sure, but now you're causing a problem for everyone else no?

Thorin

Yeah, that's where I think it's better to explain to the player what they're doing and how they're affecting the server and how that affects others.  I think everyone on your server would take that to heart and care about how they impact others' play experience.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

LennyLen

Sorry about that, it was my bad.  I was playing some Monster 2 on my phone while grinding and fell asleep.

Generally, I only use the Grinder around midnight here, as that's early morning for pretty much everyone else so I'm usually the only one on.  I also don't usually leave it going for more than an hour. Partly to avoid lag and also because an hour gives around 20 levels worth of XP which is a good level for enchanting most items.  The way that XP works, it's also more efficient to not level up too much at a time as each level requires more and more XP.

edit:  With the 4 hours, I went from level 0 to 46, which is about 800 skeletons, so it's no wonder it was lagging a bit.