New Minecraft machine

Started by LennyLen, June 06, 2012, 07:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I forgot to make a post about this earlier, but I've just recently built a new PC, which means I can now play Minecraft without getting out of memory errors every ten minutes.

The specs are:

As you can see from the photo, all it needs now to finish it off is a case.  I'm thinking of getting a ThermalTake Spedo Advance.

BTW, despite the thread title, I didn't just get this for playing Minecraft. ;)

Mr. Analog

Very cool, well good luck to ya!

I know I had a lot of problems when I first started playing, it was mostly a Win7 64-bit thing, I'm not even sure if they've fixed the launcher exe, I have to invoke the game through command line.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Nice buddy... what Vid you running in that thing?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

LennyLen

Quote from: Melbosa on June 06, 2012, 08:36:20 AM
Nice buddy... what Vid you running in that thing?

Oops, I just added it now to the original post.  It's a Gigabyte 2Gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

That's a classic picture!  Is that bubble wrap that the mobo is sitting on?  Also, I assume it's not running Windows if you've bought 32GB, since even Windows 7 has that stupid 8GB limit coded in.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

LennyLen

Quote from: Thorin on June 06, 2012, 09:24:33 AM
That's a classic picture!  Is that bubble wrap that the mobo is sitting on?

It is indeed.

Quote from: Thorin on June 06, 2012, 09:24:33 AMAlso, I assume it's not running Windows if you've bought 32GB, since even Windows 7 has that stupid 8GB limit coded in.

I guess nobody told my copy of Windows that. ;)

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 06, 2012, 09:24:33 AM
Also, I assume it's not running Windows if you've bought 32GB, since even Windows 7 has that stupid 8GB limit coded in.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Windows 7 Starter x86 = 2GB

Windows 7 Home Basic x64 = 8GB

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 = 16GB

Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate x64 = 192GB

No self respecting tech that thinks they need 32GB of ram runs the home editions do they?

Thorin

Huh, learned something new about Win7 today - version-dependent RAM limits, and that they're much higher than I was led to believe.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 06, 2012, 10:10:42 AM
Huh, learned something new about Win7 today - version-dependent RAM limits, and that they're much higher than I was led to believe.

I actually didn't recall the lower versions having those specific limits, your comment just seemed strangely low to me.  Since vista I have only used the Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate Editions so I have never encountered the limit.

Thorin

Also, all that money spent on high-end gear, and then it's just kinda plopped on a tabletop.  That wouldn't last five minutes in my house, there'd be stickers on it and food in it someone would've sat on the mobo by accident (but only because it's up on a table).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 06, 2012, 10:28:49 AM
Also, all that money spent on high-end gear, and then it's just kinda plopped on a tabletop.  That wouldn't last five minutes in my house, there'd be stickers on it and food in it someone would've sat on the mobo by accident (but only because it's up on a table).

LOL I had issues assembling my last computer in my house, parts kept on walking away.

LennyLen

There's only my girlfriend and myself here, and she's scared to come near it in case she does something bad to it/

Tom

My last build I almost ended up with a massive hair ball installed inside the case.

Also, watch out for that WD Green drive, they aren't rated for 24/7 operation, and are quite slow.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Aww yeah, upgrade to an SSD :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I wasn't gonna say it, but then Tom did - I was surprised to see a Caviar Green in with all those higher-end parts.

Anyway, good that your significant other doesn't get close with the coffee and the tea and the wine...  But what's that can o' something ("Mother" it says, maybe?) in the top left of the picture?  Isn't that awfully close to the non-cased computer if it were to spill?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 06, 2012, 11:27:55 AM
Aww yeah, upgrade to an SSD :D

I do intend to.  I bought my parts earlier than I had intended to, as I had been having problems with my old motherboard, so I didn't have quite as much money yet as I would have liked to have.  I wanted to get the larger drive for storage, and a smaller SSD as a boot device.

When I've saved up some more, I'll buy the second drive, and also upgrade to 2400Mhz RAM.

Mr. Analog

It's surprising how much boost you get from using an SSD
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

With 32GB of ram you could have a super large ram disk as well.