Minecraft servers as a source of income?

Started by Thorin, August 21, 2012, 01:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Okay, so I chanced across a thread discussing the alleged DDoSing of the HeroCraft minecraft servers by the administrator of the CraftLandia minecraft servers.  I gotta say I would've never thought of DDoSing competing minecraft servers - but then I'm a "lets all get along" type of person.  Anyway, I guess the whole point is that the CraftLandia admin wants his minecraft server to be the best in Brazil (and charges money for VIP access).  So I guess you can make money off running a minecraft server.  I'm surprised Mojang hasn't said or done anything about CraftLandia distributing a hacked client (doesn't require a password to log in, so they're not connecting to the Minecraft authentication servers).  Maybe it's with the legal department.

Anyway, google "HeroCraft CraftLandia" if you want to know more.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Oh, I also learned about DDoS mitigation and how it's done and about a company who does it: http://javapipe.com/web/ddos_mitigation.html
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Some DDOS mitigation companies just sit in front of your servers with a very large pipe, and blackhole all the DOS/DDOS traffic.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

There are a few large scale organizations that set up "pro" Minecraft servers and mods but the list of rules and regs they have for "play" is crazy.

Though I guess to avoid BS they have to but still, sad thing to think about.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

rules and regs for playing on a server I can understand, DDoSing competing servers just doesn't sit right with me.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I don't know, IF it's true that's stupid, but I dunno, it works against you if it gets out.

I'm skeptical.
By Grabthar's Hammer