Exploding BuildCraft Conductive Pipes

Started by Mr. Analog, January 08, 2013, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I've observed this happen a couple times now and looked up yesterday that there is INDEED a bug with BuildCraft Conductive Pipes.

I had a very simple setup using stone and wood conductive pipes connecting 8 Stirling engines to a Quarry, apparently there is a bug where sometimes the pipes will not release energy being stored and after a change to wooden conductive pipes retaining power instead of bleeding it off all pipes are capable of exploding now.

Warning signs:
-Your quarry (or whatever machine) is hooked up to a lot of power but not moving very fast
-You actually see a large green line in any of the pipes

Workaround:
If you see it just disconnect one of the stone conductive pipes downstream and reconnect it.

I don't have the specific forum links but this is an issue that was caused by two other recent bug fixes involving the changes to wood and gold conductive pipes.

For now though I'm thinking of converting power to an electrical engine with a circuit board upgrade.

Incidentally if anyone else needs to build machine upgrades for the Forestry mod I have a carpenter and a thermionic fabricator set up in my factory already.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2013, 12:11:18 PM
So I've observed this happen a couple times now and looked up yesterday that there is INDEED a bug with BuildCraft Conductive Pipes.

I had a very simple setup using stone and wood conductive pipes connecting 8 Stirling engines to a Quarry, apparently there is a bug where sometimes the pipes will not release energy being stored and after a change to wooden conductive pipes retaining power instead of bleeding it off all pipes are capable of exploding now.

Warning signs:
-Your quarry (or whatever machine) is hooked up to a lot of power but not moving very fast
-You actually see a large green line in any of the pipes

Workaround:
If you see it just disconnect one of the stone conductive pipes downstream and reconnect it.

I don't have the specific forum links but this is an issue that was caused by two other recent bug fixes involving the changes to wood and gold conductive pipes.

For now though I'm thinking of converting power to an electrical engine with a circuit board upgrade.

Incidentally if anyone else needs to build machine upgrades for the Forestry mod I have a carpenter and a thermionic fabricator set up in my factory already.

I was powering my quarry with 8 sterling and gold pipe as well, I kept finding the power would just not flow if the engines ever all ran out...

I want to build up a MV array but that means I would need a circuit board to increase the output of the electrical engine with multiple upgrades to make it worth it.

Low-Voltage Solar Array outputs 8 EU/t -> Electrical engine takes 6EU/T and outputs 2MJ/t thus is the minimum to power the Quarry. I boost that with 1 or 2 sterling upping it to 6MJ/t out of the 9 the quarry will accept

Medium-Voltage Solar Array outputs  64 EU/t -> this should be able to power an electrical engine with Boost I and a Boost II in it 28EU/T and outputting 8 EU /T  one less than Max for the Quarry.

Thus a Medium-Voltage Solar Array could power 2 electrical engines and 2 quarry in theory all from solar power and near max speed. That would be a fairly simple setup to pickup and move after every digg.

Tom

The redstone energy conduits and the storage cube from Thermal Expansion are really quite neat. You can charge up a massive store of MJ in the storage cube, and just pick it up and move it when ever you like. It's not exactly cheap to set up... I've been putting off creating some of the machines I need for that. But the resdstone conduits are also smarter than bc pipes as well, especially if used with the TE machines and engines. I'm pretty sure the TE engines will be able to sense what power is needed, and just stop doing any work if no machines need power rather than having pipes blow up because the wooden pipes will instantly eject any power an attached engine is capable of generating.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Hah, I've started building the machines necessary to build that stuff :)

Apparently there's a difference between pulverized obsidian and obsidian powder :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2013, 04:29:28 PM
Hah, I've started building the machines necessary to build that stuff :)

Apparently there's a difference between pulverized obsidian and obsidian powder :)
Yup :(

Sadly I've been getting bronze powder out of mixing my pulverized tin and copper, when I should be getting a bronze/brass blend or something. Too many mods playing funny business >:(

Mr. Analog

LOL I wonder if I made these machines for no reason now lol

Ah well, it was fun to craft.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2013, 04:42:44 PM
LOL I wonder if I made these machines for no reason now lol

Ah well, it was fun to craft.
I don't think it'll get in the way. It was just annoying as I had to make brass for the redpower stuff a different way. Took an extra smelting. Instead of just mixing up some brass blend and smelting that, instead I had to use tin and copper in the rp2 furnace. so the metal got cooked twice.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2013, 04:49:10 PM
Weird, I had no problems making brass?
I Didn't have problems making brass, just it took one more step than I was hoping it would ;) if you pulverize copper and tin, then mix those pulverized metals together you're supposed to get "blends", rather than dusts, and then you just smelt it. Sadly I got dusts, and you can't turn bronze dust into brass dust afaik. So I had to make the brass the old fashioned way, using tin and copper ingots in the RP2 alloy furnace.

Lazybones

Should check if we have the Forge Lexicon as part of omni tools / thermal expansion, it can convert one version of brass to another to solve that problem.