Extended Maintenance

Started by Thorin, April 13, 2012, 11:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I can't post in the Server Status thread (and probably shouldn't either).  I think good times to take the server down are mornings or afternoons?  Evenings and weekends probably see a lot more use.

Also, maybe that server whisper script should be pared down a little, like so:

Welcome to Usamot!
  map: http://mc.tomasu.org/
  forums: http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/board,64.0.html
  number one rule: Don't be a Richard!

It's kinda wordy at the moment, and with JourneyMap announcing itself as well my whole screen fills up with text :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 13, 2012, 11:54:02 AM
I can't post in the Server Status thread (and probably shouldn't either).  I think good times to take the server down are mornings or afternoons?  Evenings and weekends probably see a lot more use.

Also, maybe that server whisper script should be pared down a little, like so:

Welcome to Usamot!
  map: http://mc.tomasu.org/
  forums: http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/board,64.0.html
  number one rule: Don't be a Richard!

It's kinda wordy at the moment, and with JourneyMap announcing itself as well my whole screen fills up with text :P
I thought of that to begin with, but you guys were having such fun with the long wordy posts, I thought you'd want the motd to be just as wordy ;) I may also have to make a short url for the forums, as no matter what I do, it seems the forum url will always show on its own line.

If I had gotten up earlier today, I'd have probably done it then, but eh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

As long as it is available evenings and weekends that's good to me, mebosa plays at noon ish mountain time.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 13, 2012, 12:05:10 PM
As long as it is available evenings and weekends that's good to me, mebosa plays at noon ish mountain time.
Except the past few days. For a while everyone was playing at lunch, but almost noone has been on the past few days at lunch. Right now its LennyLen playing alone :( though he may just be sitting around waiting for stuff to smelt.

Thorin

The long wordy posts are fun on the forums, where there's time and space to put it.  In-game chat, less words is easier to digest.

Remember, users won't read any message longer than eight words.  Also, users won't read any message at all.  Paraphrased from Joel Spolsky.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 13, 2012, 12:29:25 PM
The long wordy posts are fun on the forums, where there's time and space to put it.  In-game chat, less words is easier to digest.

Remember, users won't read any message longer than eight words.  Also, users won't read any message at all.  Paraphrased from Joel Spolsky.
So you're saying I should make it longer then? >:D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 13, 2012, 02:57:08 PM
Quote from: Thorin on April 13, 2012, 12:29:25 PM

So you're saying I should make it longer then? >:D

Yes, like overly verbose Hotel Mario...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

doesn't help that every line is prefixed with [server] : whisper .....

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 13, 2012, 03:32:54 PM
Yeah, that bit is annoying. The only other options is a global message, but then everyone sees it every time someone joins. Or I can just remove it outright.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 13, 2012, 03:43:58 PM
Yeah, that bit is annoying. The only other options is a global message, but then everyone sees it every time someone joins. Or I can just remove it outright.

Na I like the idea, just due to the extra text things need to be kept short and sweet.

3 -4 lines tops with no wrap... stick the forum url through a shorten-er...

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 13, 2012, 03:47:13 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 13, 2012, 03:43:58 PM

Na I like the idea, just due to the extra text things need to be kept short and sweet.

3 -4 lines tops with no wrap... stick the forum url through a shorten-er...
Ok, updated the script. It needs a server restart for it to change (haven't finished the rewrite that would make it so an update to functions like that doesn't force a restart...).

Also, anyone want some extended commands for things? I can add whatever you want. right now unknown server commands just spews some filler.. but yeah.