Poker night at Dirtman's Thursday 15Nov2007 (reduced stakes)

Started by Darren Dirt, October 29, 2007, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Hey folks, announcement/invitation time -- Thursday night November 15th, starting at 6:00pm until probably 10 or 11, depending on who's okay with being a bit tired on Friday.

$0.05/$0.10 Dealer's Choice, with Kill*, minimum buyin $2.50 (although $5.00 recommended)
^ UPDATED: to make it "affordable" as a night of fun.

DC from the following selection of games:

-Limit Holdem (with only a single SB or BB and the Button moves, so when someone sits out and misses the blinds they can wait until next BB or may post the missed BB[+SB] to get right back into the action)

-Limit Pineapple Holdem (dealt 3, discard 1 preflop before you bet)

-Limit Crazy Pineapple Holdem (dealt 3, discard 1 as you bet on the flop)

-Limit Omaha Hi (dealt 4, no discard but you must use exactly 2 of yours and 3 of the community board)

-Limit Royal Holdem (only Ten thru Ace are in play, 20 cards total so it's a fun time, lotsa action, with 2pair the worst hand you can make!)

-Limit Razz (lowball 7-card Stud, without any qualifying condition to make the low i.e. [2A]8K92[2] is a valid King-high K982A hand, and since it is unpaired it would beat a bad-luck 3-pair such as [53]A434[A] i.e. AA543 ;D )

*Full Kill, i.e. double-sized forced bet posted by player who wins 2 pots in a row (or wins one outright then splits the very next pot), and remaining active until you lose or split a pot -- i.e. when the Kill is "on" it will be like playing a $0.10/$0.20 game :) Pot-killer is last to act pre-flop (i.e. after SB and BB have bet) then it's normal order post-flop.

For fun we also might have a "Holdem/Omaha high hand of the night" pool, say $5 donated from each who wants to participate. (qualifying hand would exclude Royal Holdem, of course)

- - -

Hopefully this sounds like a fun time and this is enough notice for youz guyz to clear your busy Thursday night schedule and head on over to my place... It's close to Southgate for those who don't know or can't remember, and if you PM me I will give you the address and directions.

PS: if Tuesday is better for you guys, let me know, but I would really like to pick either of those days and make it a regular thing, twice per month, if there is interest 8)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'm not sure I can make either day. D'oh!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 29, 2007, 09:23:19 AM
I'm not sure I can make either day. D'oh!

dangit; you mean just this week? or regularly?

cuz I'm sure by the end of the day we might get one or two other interested players who might chime in and be willing to carpool with ya... and if necessary the mid-week socializing would be worth it to me to even throw a few bucks their way to help pay for the extra gas to make sure you're able to join us...

Mr. Analog

Well I have two problems mostly:

1. Transport
2. Weeknights

I just can't stay up past midnight / one AM on a weeknight I get up at 5:30 AM these days. I also have to rely on someone else for rides which means I'm on their schedule.

I like playing poker but for it to be a regular thing for me I'd have to have a dependable ride and a guarantee that weeknight games won't run too late.

I realize weekends are not possible for you Darren, it's a bit of a sticky wicket!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

If most of us are able to leave work around 5:15-5:30, and get to my house by 6:15 at the latest, I can see it ending at 9:45-10:00pm as a general rule (I don't want to be exhausted the next day too )

Oh and PS: just cuz it's "poker night" doesn't mean sleep-affecting alcohol is required to have a good time... if that's a concern ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 29, 2007, 02:18:46 PM
Oh and PS: just cuz it's "poker night" doesn't mean sleep-affecting alcohol is required to have a good time... if that's a concern ;)

No, but if I commit to something I want to know I have a minimum of risks to deal with (otherwise I shouldn't be committing to a thing, right). Getting a ride is a big factor, bigger than staying out late.

If I can lick that then I'm in.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I'll stop posting in this thread and leave it up anyone else who might want to chime in... hopefully an afterwork ride from downtown is doable by somebody here...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 29, 2007, 02:32:28 PM
I'll stop posting in this thread and leave it up anyone else who might want to chime in... hopefully an afterwork ride from downtown is doable by somebody here...

Agreed. I'd love to get into a regular poker thing. I guess we'll see based on who else is interested.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Dont think I can give people $50 on a regular basis :P

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Shayne on October 29, 2007, 02:46:11 PM
Dont think I can give people $50 on a regular basis :P

Keep in mind that, instead of what we often did in the past (NLHE in a sit-and-go mini-tourney, where most players would get nothing from their investment but a few hours of fun) , I am suggesting DEALER'S CHOICE Limit games, which by their very "bet-limited" nature result in far less variance and a lot more lucky wins and laugh-out-loud river-badbeat moments that keep it fun for everyone... including those who think they are just a "donation machine" ;D

This is also especially true playing Omaha -- since everyone has 4 hole cards instead of 2, they essentially have "6 hands" each to match up with the flop, so there's a lot more action than Holdem.

Hope you are willing to join us for the fun, and focus on it being a game, with the money being secondary (now that it is reduced to nickel/dime stakes it should be reasonable for anyone who listed finances as an issue).

Ustauk

Darren Dirt

Okay so it's Tuesday... if only Ustauk and his gal are for sure able to make it, then it's not going to happen -- heard from a couple of others who have expressed desire and/or inability to or fear of participating.

I'll check this thread again tomorrow morning, if nothing new then it'll definitely not happen this week.

Mr. Analog

I'll come but I'll have to cab it to and fro I think, what kind of buy in are we talking?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 30, 2007, 03:39:35 PM
I'll come but I'll have to cab it to and fro I think, what kind of buy in are we talking?

As OP is now updated to say, $2.50 would be enough, although $5.00 would give some looser/crazier players more "wiggle" room :)

BTW for a handful of reasons it'll have to be starting next week, folks, but by the sound of it that will be very doable for a good number of folks, so Let's Make This Happen, and as I said let's make it a regular social thing, perhaps every second week or so.

And thanks, guys, that I didn't just hear crickets chirping this time ;)

Thorin

$100 or even $50 is too rich for me, given that I spend $10 on driving and parking so I can go home late and I only get $20 a week to spend on myself (stupid inflation eating into my spending money).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful