Windows 10 Start Menu just stops responding?

Started by Mr. Analog, July 15, 2017, 12:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Every time my machine resumes from sleep I lose the Start Menu. Clicking Explorer does nothing, pressing Windows Key does nothing

I've run sfc /scannow it made some repairs but this problem still persists

Anybody else run into this?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I have not yet. I hope you get it figured out. If it's a work machine, get our IT guys to dig into it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Hasn't happened for me, but I found a page with several possible fixes.

Some are more drastic than others, the first one is the SFC but several others as provided:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Mr. Analog

I ended up doing a Windows reset

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Still got the problem. It seems like if Windows is running more than a few hours the start menu just stops responding.

Other stuff like winkey+x still works so it has to be an issue with the start menu itself?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

According to the windows performance reliability history; Cortana died about an hour ago... TBH I don't want Cortana working at all - if I find a fix I'll post it

perfmon /rel <-pretty handy
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, Cortana's not supposed to die if it's running, but then Cortana shouldn't be running if you don't want it to be.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

You can disable most of Cortana's features but its one process that is always running even if you don't use it (who knows what Microsoft was thinking).

My only guess is that some of the crapware that came with this Windows image is interfering with it somehow. I'll have to dig in more...

Speaking of crapware, I gotta re-download the McAfee removal tool again
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

It looks like the issue was having the OneDrive service automatically run on startup. Not sure why this would bomb Cortana - but it does
By Grabthar's Hammer