https://youtu.be/jyFI7LntrGE
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Star Trek TNG explains Agar.io

https://youtu.be/dERqm54GMbg

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2015, 10:36:35 AM
A fun little browser game with a surprising amount of depth:

http://agar.io/

Here's Vinny showing how it works:
https://youtu.be/jyFI7LntrGE

The "depth" comes from its smooth intuitive zooming when you become tiny ;)

Also anyone else notice how CIA couldn't stop ISIS and ended up dying of Ebola?

And God was always present.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

The depth of gameplay is really interesting for such a simple game, as you grow you become more powerful but then you have new problems you didn't have before. When you are small you don't see what's going on at a high level at all. That one huge bubble that's coming for you might just be a tinier bubble in a cluster of big bubbles that are running away from a huge bubble.

When you are small you can hid inside viruses, when you are big you can trigger them to infect your enemies

For what it is it's impressive :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

When I first play it during lunchtime I plan on naming myself "Zerg" and slowly and safely building to a huge size ... and then suddenly splitting into a ton of tiny ones :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 11, 2015, 08:54:24 AM
When I first play it during lunchtime I plan on naming myself "Zerg" and slowly and safely building to a huge size ... and then suddenly splitting into a ton of tiny ones :)

Just don't feed HYPE, that bastard is around and huge LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 10, 2015, 10:48:20 PM
And God was always present.

Just realized, ^ that player ^ shoulda picked "Mayhem" (since he's everywhere;D

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 11, 2015, 09:37:32 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 11, 2015, 08:54:24 AM

Just don't feed HYPE, that bastard is around and huge LOL
Everyone feeds HYPE. *cough*
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Well I was wrong about a "Zerg Rush" strat being anything effective in this game.

In THIS game, Size Matters. Just ask "Ebola" -- I think he lives 24/7 in this game!

OVERALL, I gotta say I realize that i is very much a PSYCHOLOGY game not just pure strategy. It is pure brinkmanship, with simple gameplay mechanics. You are adapting to your presumptions of what the majority of the player pool is gonna do in the various repeated situations.

-You hover close to someone just under twice your size in the hopes that he will mis-judge and split to eat you and voila he becomes YOUR dinner

-You hover close to the super-sized monsters when being chased by guys more than twice your size, so they know (hopefully!) that it is pointless for them to risk splitting to eat you, since that makes them super likely to get eaten by that monster (especially after growing due to eating you!)

-In general you hover near the super-sized guys because they've got no significant gain by eating you since it cuts their effective size in half

-Never split unless you think the split will eat your prey, OR you think someone is about to split to eat you then split QUICKLY so they don't "waste their time" on you (now you are not worth it) -- presuming you...

-...STAY SPREAD OUT when you are split, or if you clump together than at least make a triangle or similar -- I lost count of how many times I was a "line" of 2 or more and some giant multi-piece guy split and ate every one of me in a single shot :(

-and of course, stay out of the corners once you are medium sized+ ... however the corners are a great place to build your initial size (since the middle is usually where the super-sized monsters hang out and play "brinkmanship"

-MOST of my big gains came from noticing someone about my size split to eat someone, and I was close enough to eat a few of his smaller pieces without a split needed, then I absorbed most of him at once... along with those times someone was an IDIOT and chased me while I was split into 2+ pieces that were approx. his size, and as I was visibly obviously about to re-join HE STAYED CHASING ... merge-GULP-thankyou! 8)

-One technique in the mid-size game is when you see a target that is maybe 1/3 your size, but you know he dodging you well enough with a random-ish trajectory (so that a split is likely going to miss him) -- press W nearby and hope he "takes the bait", then he is going to bee-line it to that little emission and NOW your split is likely to slide right over him. Some people kept falling for it, heck sometimes I would press W and wait nearby and not move and they would still walk right into the trap!

...so if the above is what I think are the basics, then you just gotta hope most others think something along these lines and thus you create a counter-strategy ... knowing most of the time the fear of losing a medium+ size ball will reduce the chance that they go all "Crazy Ivan" on ya (similar principle to a Poker tournament, if the 2 monster chip stacks stay out of each other's way they will likely make it to HU, but if one of them KNOWS the other is afraid of gambling on a virtual coin-flip, then he might be able to push that fearful monster stack around more, etc.)

overall WOW where did my lunch hour go! No joke, my fingers HURT from the mouse being in constant motion. Evil game, but like crack for the "game theory" leaning, continually-adjusting, trying-new-strats folks like myself. Not a Twitch Game at all!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 11, 2015, 01:44:58 PM
overall WOW where did my lunch hour go! No joke, my fingers HURT from the mouse being in constant motion. Evil game, but like crack for the "game theory" leaning, continually-adjusting, trying-new-strats folks like myself. Not a Twitch Game at all!

Yeah, like I say for such a simple game I'm really surprised by the complexity of it all. Gameplay also changes depending on what server you get on and who is there, surprisingly addictive fun.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Pressing ESCAPE lets you configure some stuff... for example, seeing exact # of your mass (and to reduce lag also turning off skins to speed things up and/or choosing different server)
http://www.agariogame.com/agar-io-how-to-change-settings/

This page summarizes a ton of basic rules etc. and clarifies what the viruses do and how to exploit them to crush the monsters (if you time it well)
http://www.agariogame.com/rules-of-agar-io-game/