Computer died, and tells me "System Failed CPU Test"

Started by Thorin, January 29, 2008, 10:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Yeah, so I went to watch episode 5 of The IT Crowd with my wife when the computer froze.  Had to turn it off and back on again as it wasn't responding to anything.  When it started back up, a lady's voice started telling me "System Failed CPU Test".

I have *no* idea what would cause this problem.  I opened up the system and re-seated the RAM, the CPU and heatsink, the video card, and disconnected a couple of power plugs to make sure the power supply wasn't being overburdened.  Nothing changed.

This sucks.  It was our main computer.  Good thing we have a couple more, but crappy that it gave out.  I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a couple of matching computers to replace it and this other old, old one.  I'm sure the hard drive's still fine, so I might just get an external drive case so we can get our pictures and movies and songs and all that off.

Grr!  First the car dies, then the Suburban needs a whole bunch of work, now I'm looking at replacing my computers.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I feel your pain. My old computer is currently having some serious problems, all sorts of pci errors >:E its still useable, but I have to keep resetting the NIC, or rebooting. I Think its causing HD issues too, I keep hearing loud clicks from one of them, the "drive is dying" type of clicks, but only one at a time like the read arms are slamming against the sides...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Would you buy this?  Why should I not buy this?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10002503&catid=

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
500GB 7200RPM SATA drive
21.6" Samsung widescreen 5ms LCD monitor
3GB DDR2 RAM
Dual Layer DVD burner
GeForce 8600GT video card
Windows Vista Home Premium (yuck!)

It's $999 for the package.  So $1048.95 after tax.  I wonder if I can talk them down if I buy two?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Ever used an eMachine before?  You know the possessed computers at ISC Group?

Well Acer is about 2 steps above it, if you're lucky.  Great deal, but Acer (anyone else feel that chill up their spine?).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on January 29, 2008, 10:41:03 PM
Grr!  First the car dies, then the Suburban needs a whole bunch of work, now I'm looking at replacing my computers.

"The stuff you own, ends up owning you" ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Given the specs that is a respectable package really.. I jumped on the Dell site to check out the current offers and the key winning factors for the Acer are the monitor, HD and Video card.

I haven't played the build it your self game yet, I might just do that though...

Melbosa

Truely Thorin, I don't know how much of a computer hardware guy you are; never really sat down and talked computer junk with you; but your best bet when it comes to computers is what ever works with your wallet.  Computers really aren't all that different inside anymore; most work with none-proprietary parts, and will take the same.  Only the cheapness of the parts used is really the difference.  And if your wallet says cheap, then go cheap.

But really, minus the OS and Monitor, you can build this system with well known parts for almost the same price (example is from Memory Express).  As Lazy said, although I did it with the same video card, I would say the Monitor/OS is the deal on that machine, but then again, I got you one more GB of RAM with this one, and I know these parts are top quality.  Inside that Acer box... who knows.

But as I said before, your wallet.

Lazybones

Antec New Solution Series NSK6580 Super Mid Tower w/ EarthWatts 430W Power Supply   $104.95
eVGA nForce 610i / e-Geforce 7050 w/ DDR2, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16   $54.95
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM   $59.95
Kingston ValueRAM 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM   $24.95
Intel Core?2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz w/ 2x4MB Cache   $279.95
Western Digital 500GB Caviar SE16 7200rpm SATA II w/ 16MB Cache   $99.90
eVGA e-GeForce 8500 GT 512MB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDTV-Out   $79.95
Samsung SH-S203B 20X SpeedPlus? DVD-Writer, SATA, Black   $29.95
Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM 22in Widescreen LCD w/ DVI, 5ms, Speakers, Black   $254.95

$989.50

My build includes a comparable monitor, yet is still missing some out of the box stuff like keyboard mouse etc that I am sure is in the acer build. Also my build does not really improve on anything and takes advantage of 3 mail in rebaits.. Lots of hassle.

As for 3GB vs 4GB you can't utilize more than 3GB without installing a 64Bit OS. Xp 32bit will just waste the extra 1 GB.

Tom

I have learned a few things, don't cheap out on the motherboard. $50 motherboard? CHEAP. I wouldn't spend less than $80, and likely more than $100. Cheap motherboards fail quickly. At least they do for me.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on January 30, 2008, 12:10:01 AM
As for 3GB vs 4GB you can't utilize more than 3GB without installing a 64Bit OS. Xp 32bit will just waste the extra 1 GB.

Not true my friend, not true.  32bit limit is 4GB not 3GB.

As for my build, was a fast one.  Lazy's is probably better, except the 8500 vs 8600 is a bit of a change.  I'd also spend the difference for the HD and Burner that I posted as they are better parts - WDs are on sale because of a known flaw with those revisions of HDs, and the Samsung DVD writers have a small issue with lead in burns that the LGs don't.

Don't know anyone with that Mobo, so can't tell you if it is tested and true.  The one I posted is the cheapest one I've ever worked with and/or bought in this gen of mobos, so I know it works.  I would actually spend more than the one I posted for a mobo as Tom said.  Out of everything, don't ever cheap out on your mobo as it can burn you the most.

Mr. Analog

I'm gonna part out my old machine to Thorin I think...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 29, 2008, 11:28:04 PM

Yeah, a man who owns nothing is truly free.  And in this weather, they're also @%&#ed because they don't have anywhere warm to live, nor any way of getting around the city.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 29, 2008, 11:28:04 PM

No, I still own my stuff, I crushed the last revolution by executing my VCR (after all it killed the Radio Star).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Thanks for the suggestions.  As far as the build-it-yourself path, I don't keep up on every motherboard release and review to see which is best so it's hard to know what parts to pick.  Also, both your builds are missing an OS.  Throw in the OS and the builds are already more expensive.

Really, I need to think about how I want my home network set up and what the machines will be used for.  If I'm looking at email, surfing, picture storing (and some editing), downloading, movie storing, and some flash-based games, then I doubt a quad-core processor is even necessary.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on January 30, 2008, 10:30:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.  As far as the build-it-yourself path, I don't keep up on every motherboard release and review to see which is best so it's hard to know what parts to pick.  Also, both your builds are missing an OS.  Throw in the OS and the builds are already more expensive.

OS is taken care of.  If you are replacing computers, and not keeping the old ones around, you have 2 OSs already.

Quote from: Thorin on January 30, 2008, 10:30:34 AM
Really, I need to think about how I want my home network set up and what the machines will be used for.  If I'm looking at email, surfing, picture storing (and some editing), downloading, movie storing, and some flash-based games, then I doubt a quad-core processor is even necessary.

Your right.  Our quotes were in response to your Futureshop post, to try and help you decide if it was a good deal.  It was a late post by myself last night, and I meant to post this morning to ask you your needs (just got busy at work).  Never buy a computer based on a deal if it doesn't fit your needs.  There is much that can be changed for a computer build to better suit different requirements.  So whether Mr A. has what you need, or you are still looking, first you need to narrow down what you need/want then ask for advice on what to get.

Can you tell I do this for a living with non-gamer clients as well as gamers/enthusiasts.