Shaw charging for overages

Started by Tom, October 29, 2010, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

If it helps, this is what I see:

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

But where do you see your usage there?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 30, 2010, 09:56:10 AM
But where do you see your usage there?
You don't. Thats just an information page.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Okidok, news on the front:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24949041-Shaw-charging-for-extra-bandwidth.~start=784

QuoteWe wanted to thank everyone for their participation in the Edmonton Trial of this program. We have taken the results, and we have heard all of your honest feedback, and will now be moving forward with the program across our service areas.

We have adjusted the levels of included usage on our packages as detailed at: ?www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServic???sage.htm

As part of this process, those select customers in Edmonton who have been on the program will be refunded any money spent on data packs, and all customers will be returned to the first notification stage.

Letters are being sent to Edmonton customers who were part of the program to further detail this in the coming days.

As we begin rolling out this program across our service areas, and fully training all of our customer care reps, feel free to send us any questions that you may have about how the program works, or you can contact our e-Care teams by Live Chat. (?www.shaw.ca/chat)

So now they have seen it as a success, and are rolling out the program across all their service areas. Yay?

Mr. Analog

Boo :P

Like charging people money is solving anything (other than Shaw's ivory backscratcher gap). This is akin to automated speed traps, sure it does something, just not fixing the problems.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The tongue-in-cheek "interpretation" by "Shaw_theif" nails it:
Hi this is shaw we have decided that the overwhelming popularity of this telecom robber baron plan is in the best interests of you the consumers. In the interest of serving your needs we have reduced most packages caps by a significant amount so we can offer you our grade A value packs IE
10 GB for an additional $5/month
60 GB for an additional $20/month
250 GB for an additional $50/month

For those on higher packages that feel they have lost significant value to their package please feel free to buy the 250gig data pack which will allow you to use as much as you should be getting on your current packages if value+200% market inflation was enough for us.

These rates are far more fair then teksavvy and their 10bucks for 100 gigs. And we feel that we have let you use to much bandwidth already. So as such we will reduce your capacity because as you need more every year your allotment should be reduced and you can hit your cap sooner. Please enjoy these steals of deals we are offering. This way you will never be able to consider cutting the cord and breaking away for traditional media like the great CANWEST network. Also feel free to enjoy our fine selection of overpriced smut on our VOD service which costs 2x more for one viewing then a month of netflix(boooo netflix bad caps good!).

or, as "Nati" said:
Translation: We heard that you don't like our new charges, we don't care, we're going to over charge you any way. Have a nice day

PS: the URL is http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/internetdatausage.htm

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Not in my market yet, but considering my monthly use is between 50GB and 160GB / mo this could be a big problem. Netflix has really added things up.

FYI later versions of DD-Wrt keep these stats...

Tom

Yeah, if I can find a decent DSL plan, I'm thinking of switching. I don't even go over my limit all that often anymore, and it still bugs me.

Over the past couple years, my monthly bill has gone up several times, for supposedly "Free" services like "SpeedBoost" and the 10 to 15mb upgrade, oh, and each time my bw allotment went down. Bull@%&# shaw, bull@%&#.

Thorin

Ha ha, Shaw's corporate headquarters' IP range was banned from a forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=196&a=100

It'll be interesting the first time they charge a lawyer for overages without providing detailed data.  Honestly, if they can't prove every bit of bandwidth they claim you used, you can pretty easily get that bill adjusted in small claims court.  Most of us wouldn't bother, but imagine a lawyer who just got charged an extra $300 on their monthly bill...

I'm with you, Tom, I am a fickle, fickle consumer.  I have no problem switching to another plan that appears to be better for me.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

With my hosting going off site, I might be able to be a "fickle" user as well :D.  Even play the two big ISPs off each other.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Lazybones

SOAB! Shaw just enabled this across BC and my usage pattern is BAD vs the caps!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 29, 2010, 10:26:08 AM
Looks like shaw'll be the first to start charging you for excess usage.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/internetdatausage

Likely as a result of the CRTC oking it for Bell.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/10/28/crtc-usage-based-billing-internet.html

hmmm... this article gives a different perspective on the CRTC and this change in billing -- and reminds us that competition (i.e. "the little guys" is the reason for this change)...

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/CRTC+good+guys+Really/4184769/story.html

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 28, 2011, 09:57:24 AM
SOAB! Shaw just enabled this across BC and my usage pattern is BAD vs the caps!

D'oh, hopefully not too bad...?
By Grabthar's Hammer