Shaw charging for overages

Started by Tom, October 29, 2010, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 28, 2011, 10:37:31 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on January 28, 2011, 09:57:24 AM
SOAB! Shaw just enabled this across BC and my usage pattern is BAD vs the caps!

D'oh, hopefully not too bad...?

Between Bittorent and Netflix I am normally between 2x to 3x the limit for the standard shaw high speed account.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya, if I leave my plan as is it would be over $200 for my dec use. If I upgrade to extreme or nitro there is less chance of that However then my cost for every month increases a lot

Tom

Yeah, I might be moving to DSL from teksavvy or some other place. Even if it means a lot slower downloads (5-6mb vs 15). Its cheaper, and has a 200G cap most times, rather than like 120G or whatever shaw has on most plans now.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on January 28, 2011, 11:52:28 AM
Yeah, I might be moving to DSL from teksavvy or some other place. Even if it means a lot slower downloads (5-6mb vs 15). Its cheaper, and has a 200G cap most times, rather than like 120G or whatever shaw has on most plans now.

In my new place I just booked Telus, HS turbo (15) and I don't do any kind of torrenting or HD movie downloads so I should be alright I think.

Just would be nice if they DROPPED the rates for those who are way under the "cap". Charge a lower base rate + a reasonable per-GB rate after that.

A semi-monopoly makes it hard for the consumers to demand those kind of reasonable changes to fee structures.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Teksavvy has a reasonable cap at 200GB and upload speeds of 1Mbit, for less than I pay now. I might have to check them out, however I wonder if their rates will be impacted when TELUS starts charging more upstream.

Indications are that TELUS will also switch to HARD caps and charging overage shortly.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 28, 2011, 01:00:35 PM
Teksavvy has a reasonable cap at 200GB and upload speeds of 1Mbit, for less than I pay now. I might have to check them out, however I wonder if their rates will be impacted when TELUS starts charging more upstream.

Indications are that TELUS will also switch to HARD caps and charging overage shortly.
The CRTC backed down slightly, Network operators are now required to charge 15% less to bulk customers than they charge to their own retail customers, so smaller ISPs can still differentiate a little.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on January 28, 2011, 01:00:35 PM

The article I linked to seems to imply that, yes, once the Big Corps change their pricing, it's gonna mean all the little guys who lease the "Final Mile" are gonna pay more, thus charging more to consumers, most likely.

PS: hmmm... is it too late to cancel my Telus HSturbo hookup? http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp I'll wait a few months to see if I'm using more than what the $32/month plan gives you (200gb) but I doubt it (gonna be $28/mo. for first 3 months with Telus).

Mr. Analog

TELUS == EVIL get off 'em sooner than later man...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Shaw's no better at this point.  Dropping the caps while deciding to start charging for overages was a double kick to the groin.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on January 28, 2011, 03:22:51 PM
Shaw's no better at this point.  Dropping the caps while deciding to start charging for overages was a double kick to the groin.

Agreed, lesser of two evils tho
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Is this a decent laptop?
http://www.telus.com/content/internet/promotions/easypc.jsp#specs

Cuz I might consider going on a X-year plan with Telus if they are offering about the same as what Shaw has been giving me ... and if I get a free laptop thrown in that's good.

PS: Telus HSturbo = 10-15 download speed, up to 1MB upload (vs. the 512 that I think my old Shaw HS offered), and cap 120GB monthly and $2/GB over that. 4GB per day = pretty tough for me to exceed imo. I was worried the cap mighta been more like 50 or 40 or something.

Tom

Getting locked into a Telus plan is probably the stupidest thing you can do.

But thats probably a $500 laptop. Which you'll end up paying for several times over with how much telus is charging you over some of the competitors.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on January 28, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

But thats probably a $500 laptop. Which you'll end up paying for several times over with how much telus is charging you over some of the competitors.

No, buying an HP laptop I think trumps it, they are CRAP.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 28, 2011, 07:25:18 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 28, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

No, buying an HP laptop I think trumps it, they are CRAP.
Heh. I went directly for a lenovo. Its pretty darn good, even if it isn't a true thinkpad (its an SL500, uses the ideapad firmware...).