Shaw charging for overages

Started by Tom, October 29, 2010, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I went to one of those Shaw meetings last night. Mostly we were there to talk to them about what we want, rather than them saying much of anything. Though I did get some interesting numbers.

They say they have about 1000 homes per "local node", it takes them about 2-4 or 6-8 months to split a node depending on circumstances. This year they have planned to split 500 nodes, and if traffic keeps increasing at the rate it has, they'll need to do 1000 splits next year, and 2000 the year after.

Apparently, from 2002 through 2009-2010, traffic was growing at 50% per year. In the past 6 months or so, traffic has grown 60%, so this year we're a little ahead of things.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Uhh...  Are they splitting because the number of homes on the node increased, or are they splitting down to less homes on the node to maintain a certain throughput capability?  What you said that they said, it's not clear whether they have to split because their customer base is increasing rapidly or because more customers are maintaining or at least expecting a high throughput during the peak hours.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on March 09, 2011, 03:31:53 PM
Uhh...  Are they splitting because the number of homes on the node increased, or are they splitting down to less homes on the node to maintain a certain throughput capability?  What you said that they said, it's not clear whether they have to split because their customer base is increasing rapidly or because more customers are maintaining or at least expecting a high throughput during the peak hours.
These days they said they don't increase customer base much. The node splitting is mostly to keep a certain service quality. So its mostly due to traffic increasing.

Also interesting, they start planning a node split if they see congestion on a node for a few minutes within a 4 day period.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 09, 2011, 03:48:00 PMAlso interesting, they start planning a node split if they see congestion on a node for a few minutes within a 4 day period.

I DO find that interesting because I've had some serious quality of service issues at my place. The peak download sticks between 5 and 7 Mbps, except during light usage hours when it peaks over 18 Mbps (I've even had >20 Mbps a couple times).

I'm sure they must see that, but they haven't done anything about it...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 09, 2011, 03:53:40 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 09, 2011, 03:48:00 PMAlso interesting, they start planning a node split if they see congestion on a node for a few minutes within a 4 day period.

I DO find that interesting because I've had some serious quality of service issues at my place. The peak download sticks between 5 and 7 Mbps, except during light usage hours when it peaks over 18 Mbps (I've even had >20 Mbps a couple times).

I'm sure they must see that, but they haven't done anything about it...
It takes them 2-4 months, or up to 6-8 months to do a node split. So it may just be taking time. Or you need to complain at them.

I don't see much problems. but then I'm still overpaying for a business plan with QoS. So my data is more important that everyone elses in the area ;D even at peak I see a full 15mbps plus SpeedBoost.

Melbosa

And I just changed everything over to Telus as of this Saturday, due to cost savings... so I'll let you guys know how that goes.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Oh, they also said they'll be getting back to us with what they come up with in May or so. Though there will be more meetings in April maybe.

If I don't like the solutions shaw comes up with in a couple months, I'ma probably switch to Tekksavvy.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 09, 2011, 04:02:16 PM
And I just changed everything over to Telus as of this Saturday, due to cost savings... so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Well hopefully having a business account means you put up with less garbage from Telus, from a consumer perspective Shaw would have to get a whole lot worse before I'd go back to that mess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Nope, residential account (all services - Phone, TV and Internet).  But when the savings were (per month) $100 in the first 6 Months, $80 the next 6 Months, and $45 over the following 2 years (at todays listings), plus I will now get HD channels and a free PVR, I couldn't justify keeping Shaw.  I can also use my XBox as a HD TV tunner as well with Telus.

Even after 3 Months of pestering Shaw every time I got a "package deal" letter though the mail, They wouldn't even consider a 3 year contract savings or any other loyalist deal.  So during that 3 months I interviewed people in my office whom had Telus TV and Internet, whom had been Shaw customers till about mid last year.  All were happy with the services provided by Telus, but none had to call for support yet.

Now you all know me well, and have heard me say I would never give another dim to that piss-pot of an organization.  But after talking with my Sister whom works for Shaw Relations and Customer Service, I found out she was having similar complaints about pricing and Shaw had pulled all loyalist discounts about 6 months ago.  She couldn't blame me for moving either.

So I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot for the next 3 years.  With my hosting services now off-site, I no longer require the separate business account running in my house.  All my downloads and gaming have been through Shaw residential for almost 3 years now, so not like I will miss having the Business like account for daily operations at my home.

The first time I have to call about service problems, I'll let you know if I made a BAD move.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on March 09, 2011, 04:02:16 PM

if it's anything like my experience, it blows.

seriously, though my SpeedTest.net numbers were decent, somehow the overall "feel" is not what is what with Shaw. Especially when I connect remotely. I'm going to ask them to replace the modem since I occasionally have disconnects that sometimes happen 4 or 5 times in 10 minutes :grrrrr: but if the 2nd modem doesn't resolve that, it's back to Shaw for me. Even if it means $5 or $10 more per month.

Mel, in your case I'm guessing it's a lot more coin -- and you probably won't find the same not-quite-up-to-snuff connectivity that I have encountered, since you're a business/power client.

edit: I gotta stop grunching.
Quote from: Melbosa on March 09, 2011, 09:53:38 PM
With my hosting services now off-site, I no longer require the separate business account running in my house.
So I guess you're not on a business service plan, wow didn't know that. so it seems very understandable you're trying a switch since you've got the whole package. I'm "off" cable again, and happily gonna stay that way, play no need for a home phone since usually I'm not at home, so my cell is fine. Therefore internet for me is just that, and nothing else to be "bundled".

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

I've had two separate accounts for 3 years with Shaw, and only used the business account, modem and bandwidth for hosting, never anything else (my activities were causing issues with service delivery prior to that change).  Now that all my hosting is off-site, I have no need for that account.

But that business account is separate from the cost savings I am getting, in case you are wondering.  The cost savings I listed is only the 3-Residential-Services bundle I had with Shaw comparing to the new 3-Residential-Services bundle I am getting with Telus.

Thorin

So the CRTC had planned to re-visit this issue, and today they started a week of hearings on the matter.  I've had a twitter feed on in the background, filtered for the hashtag #UBB, and it's interesting to read what people from inside the hearing room are tweeting.

Basically, Bell has come out and admitted that UBB is competition-based, not to relieve congestion, and that their UBB plan (and their new AVP plan) are all about reducing overall usage rather than congestion at peak usage.

Bell also had the audacity to claim that they've been very friendly and open and helpful to independent ISPs using their infrastructure, to which Konrad von Finckenstein said "BULL@%&#!" (paraphrased).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Actually sounds like progress could be made!