Pidgin vs Miranda vs Trillian vs Digsby

Started by Melbosa, December 11, 2012, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

So with MSN Messenger being replaced by Windows 8 Messenger and then soon Skype (which you can already do), I am in the market to switch to another IM Client.

You see, your Windows 8 Login is married to your Skype account (which takes over your MSN Messenger account) once you take the plunge and update as M$ suggests. Unfortunately you cannot login to the same Skype (formerly MSN Messenger) account with another Windows 8 account - which was possible before with MSN Messenger or Windows 8 Messenger (which I still HATE! as an application).

Prior to this update I was able to be logged into my MSN Messenger account from both my home and work PCs, even though they are two separate profiles/logins.  Now I can't.

So I'm looking for the alternative.  I don't need fancy, and I don't need extras... I just need an IM Client that logs into MSN Messenger and works from various locations at the same time.  As far as I can tell the major 4 are: Pidgin, Miranda, Trillian, and Digsby.  Which do you suggest and why?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'm curious as well, I'm sick of all these IM clients merging into "profiles". I have several accounts that I want to keep separate from other stuff.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 11, 2012, 01:38:53 PM
So with MSN Messenger being replaced by Windows 8 Messenger and then soon Skype (which you can already do), I am in the market to switch to another IM Client.

You see, your Windows 8 Login is married to your Skype account (which takes over your MSN Messenger account) once you take the plunge and update as M$ suggests. Unfortunately you cannot login to the same Skype (formerly MSN Messenger) account with another Windows 8 account - which was possible before with MSN Messenger or Windows 8 Messenger (which I still HATE! as an application).

Prior to this update I was able to be logged into my MSN Messenger account from both my home and work PCs, even though they are two separate profiles/logins.  Now I can't.

So I'm looking for the alternative.  I don't need fancy, and I don't need extras... I just need an IM Client that logs into MSN Messenger and works from various locations at the same time.  As far as I can tell the major 4 are: Pidgin, Miranda, Trillian, and Digsby.  Which do you suggest and why?

Pidgin - ugly and stores your passwords in plain text (and always will)
Miranda - Never like the UI or settings
Trillian - used to love, however it cost money, now parts are free development is not consistent
Digsby - nice UI, was hosted with a one way client client side encryption, future unknown as it is being offloaded as open source I believe. <--My current client when on a PC

Mobile <-- I use this more than desktop IM now
BeejiveIM - Multi-platform
IM+ Pro - Multi-platform

Security WARNING, both BeejiveIM and IM+ Pro  as well as Trillian store your account session ON a server allowing your connection to persist even when your mobile device disconnects, however this also means that server has your credentials at least in memory.

Melbosa

So Lazy, for Desktop IM you use Digsby then, and the others on your Mobile Phone?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I use Trillian and I do not pay for it.  I like the UI and I like that I can set up multiple IM client logins and multiple logins for the same IM program.  For instance, if I wanted two Messenger accounts I can do that.

The latest version uses a Skype plugin that allows Trillian to use Skype without me having to start it.

Trillian also allows groups, so you could put all your Messenger home contacts in one group and all your Messenger work contacts in another group.  You can also merge contacts from different IM programs together - I haven't bothered to do this, because there's a really easy search.

Trillian is available for desktop and mobile, and the pro version can remember your sessions so you can continue a conversation on your phone that you started on your computer, if that interests you.  It doesn't interest me, I just use Trillian on my desktop.

And for the record, Microsoft marrying Skype to a Windows 8 login account is f-ing stupid; people are just gonna switch to other less restrictive platforms.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 11, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
So Lazy, for Desktop IM you use Digsby then, and the others on your Mobile Phone?

Yes, I switched to Digsby when Trillian was going through its LOOOOOOONGG transition to Astra which is what Trillian is now, never bothered to look at it again, but as Thorin points out the free version is good and there is a mobile version.

On MAC I use Adium.

I was using Beejive on iPhone then switched to IM+ on iPhone... They are very close function wise.
Both support "Meta contacts" IE grouping the same friend from different networks as one contact..
IM+ seems to get more frequent updates than Beejive and Beejive removed their public community forums.