O NO I'M a MAC

Started by Lazybones, December 27, 2008, 02:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Yes, the desktop / UI has some significant differences from Windows / KDE / Gnome. I getting used to using Expose for jumping between open windows, I don't use spaces as I never got used to virtual desktops under windows.

Tom

My problem is really the way the panel doesn't list windows. It lists apps. Click an app and all of its windows come forward. I don't think I would like that in most cases. I'm sure its fine for an ide, so long as that ide is like the old borland and I'm not putting windows on multiple monitors.

My work flow on multiple monitors is something borne out of the uniqe features on X. A useable pager (virtual desktops), a task bar that lets you filter out apps not on the active desktop, and not on the current screen, that also lets you (easily) have a task bar on each screen. This way I can sort apps into "activities", each virtual desktop is a separate activity, like "Dev", "Web", "p2p", and "other". No cluttering a single task bar with all of the windows, no magically switching desktops when clicking on a window item thats not on the current desktop (its annoying).

What OSX would do when I select say, Firefox, it would raise all of Firefox's windows to the top, regardless of which screen they are on. Say I have a firefox window open on each screen, and XCode open on the main screen, and I want to code while looking at some docs in firefox on the secondary screen, the firefox on the main screen will now be over XCode. Which I don't want. Maybe its not like that... But I'm pretty sure it is.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on December 28, 2008, 03:31:59 PM
The whole touchpad is one physical button btw, so it is still kind of a one button mouse.

I would say no, it's not like a one-button mouse, because it senses multiple fingers touching.  With a one-button mouse, there's only one type of input possible.  That was the point behind the two-button mouse - the ability to have two types of input from one device.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Well even the desktop macs no longer have a true single button mouse as they ship with the Mighty Mouse http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/ .