ripping music tracks from an Unreal game?

Started by Darren Dirt, July 20, 2008, 12:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Hey folks, weird request here.

The other day I got a sudden urge to play the classic game "Deus Ex" yet again. Then I realized I don't have the time to do such things. Then I further realized that zomg I so totally miss the feeling of playing the game, *especially* the backgorund music in pretty much every level.

So I had a look at the \DeusEx\ folder and noticed that everything is inside a ".u" file, which seems to be a special "Unreal" format since changing it to RAR or ZIP didn't work, i.e. it's not a normal archive format.

So any suggestions of how to "rip" the audio, specifically the music, from a ".u" file? I searched for "Unreal audio ripper" etc. but dang it there's a generic ripper called "Unreal Media Server" or something, nothing to do with Unreal-formatted files.

...update 2 minutes later...
Okay, WOW, I guess I might not need help after all... Check out THIS fanorific page:
http://home.kc.rr.com/bobfahey/deus_ex.htm  8)

(I also found http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx1/files/music/ and http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/deus-ex-original-game-audio -- and according to PlanetDeusExp, "If you want to play the Deus Ex music files straight from your /DeusEx/Music/ directory, then head on over and grab Modplug.")

PS: The brilliant head writer of DE1 is sure a Gloomy Gus ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Ya I was going to say that it uses MOD Tracks as its audio format. During the early development of "Unreal" I used to hang out in the Epic IRC channel. The they used to share all sorts of MOD Track music at the time.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on July 20, 2008, 05:12:08 PM
Ya I was going to say that it uses MOD Tracks as its audio format. During the early development of "Unreal" I used to hang out in the Epic IRC channel. The they used to share all sorts of MOD Track music at the time.

The "Modplug Player" rules -- I dragged in one of the .UMX files, and after it finished it auto-played another file in the same folder, it's like SMRT or something.

It also has a "convert to .WAV" button, which I used to create a playlist and burned a CD of Deus Ex background music... Now I can clean up my basement while pretending to uncover a government conspiracy possibly involving aliens or at least ethically-questionable genetic manipulation! ;D

Lazybones

The mod file format is like MIDI but with the instrument samples embedded in the file it self. I thought Winamp could play them as well with a plugin installed.

Tonnica

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 21, 2008, 09:44:05 AMNow I can clean up my basement while pretending to uncover a government conspiracy possibly involving aliens or at least ethically-questionable genetic manipulation! ;D

Just look out for bombs, J.C. (ha)

As a side note because I saw this thread a bit late, if you ever want to crack open a game file downloaded vis Steam, I recommend GCFScape. In the case of Deus Ex you don't need to use it because it's an older game and it installs all of its files un-packed under Program Files by default.

But hey, it's handy if you can't get to the music files any other way!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tonnica on July 21, 2008, 10:09:55 AM

Just look out for bombs, J.C. (ha)

Quit babying me, Paul, or I'll head out the window at the 'Ton and you know what happens then... ;)