XBone NBA 2k14 Technical Foul for Swearing (NSFW, language obv)

Started by Mr. Analog, December 03, 2013, 07:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

More like, the next generation has a comunication problem, and their un-self-awareness sucks hahaha

The video poster linked to the "full version" @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SELt23sHzeg ... and the brainiac was swearing non-stop before the tiny clip in this thread's OP.

Not denying that the devs were stupid/trollin to even PUT something in there, but it wasn't just a single f-bomb that triggered it.

Also, anyone else here remember playing the Infocom text adventure for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? It ... responded ... to swear words too.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Best comment:

"John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute"

Also, I guess this is something they built into the game, so it's the developer's fault.  It could've been done on the xbox 360 with kinect 1.0 as well.  And some of the commenters make an interesting point - this is a basketball simulation game, and if a basketball ref hears you swear on the court you get a technical foul.  So it's actually making the game a better simulation of the real thing.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

I watched the 8 minute vid, and was surprised there was only the single Technical Foul considering all his repeated swearing throughout...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

It's a silly idea that actually breaks immersion because it reminds the player that the Kinect is both always watching and listening.

Uncomfortable feels :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I love it!  Have you ever played online with today's kids over Live or PSN?  Too much swears!  Too much bitching.  Not enough just play.  I'm all for jabs and gibs while playing, but the swearing online is terrible!!

You can turn off that foul BTW, but I love it!  I would so leave it on!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Then you'd never play online with randoms.  Match Making does not include your age or your demeanor.  Although there is a new reputation system in Live that might help over time with that.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on December 03, 2013, 11:59:51 AM
Then you'd never play online with randoms.  Match Making does not include your age or your demeanor.  Although there is a new reputation system in Live that might help over time with that.
Indeed.

Mr. Analog

Man, playing on pubs you know what you're getting, which is why you turn voice OFF. I'm not sure the reputation system will work in the long run, the people who fill pub servers are all going to have middling to low rep. Not to mention it will be ripe for abuse, reputation systems only work if people are honest. I mean, it's bad enough having people disconnect game sessions rather than lose but now they can submit negative rep on your account if you piss them off for no reason, by the time Microsoft catches up with fraudulent reporting your standing will already affected, so in the end asshats win.

It's the same anywhere that has open servers anybody can join, TF2 on a Saturday morning is an awful cesspit (night isn't AS bad). Then there's the sweaty tryhards who aren't crass per se but are extremely abusive when it comes to team play (which is why I don't play LoL or DOTA)

BUT this isn't playing on a pub server, this is playing a game by yourself in your home.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

And you can turn it off... that is the one thing not mentioned.  You don't have to play with it on... I actually think it is genus that they added it in!

Tom

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on December 03, 2013, 01:17:54 PM
Does it default to on or off?

On as it is an actual foul in the NBA.  Just like Offsides are in the NHL/NFL Games.  It is a legitimate rule.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on December 03, 2013, 01:18:57 PM
Quote from: Tom on December 03, 2013, 01:17:54 PM
Does it default to on or off?

On as it is an actual foul in the NBA.  Just like Offsides are in the NHL/NFL Games.  It is a legitimate rule.
Sure, but it's not entirely clear that they did that. it's not something that has historically been an actual thing in video games. It's going to surprise and upset a lot of people.

Melbosa

People are adverse to change, and scared of the Big Brother scenarios.  I've shown the clip to over 20 people in my office, gamers and non-gamers alike, and the response has been more positive than negative (16 yes / 4 no).  While I don't know that this is an indication of real world, its just an adhoc poll I did here.

I think it is a very ingenious addition to the franchise... something that would have made me laugh versus angry if I ever got caught with it. I wonder if it is in FIFA as well, as it is another game where a language rule exists.

And while it is an option that is added to a game without advertising, so many features in games are added without such knowledge.  Can't advertise everything, but the one way to make sure you see it is to have it on as an option by default!

When the last Forza came out they added head tracking for shoulder checks.  While cool idea it didn't really work well because your TV is not wrapped around you, so a shoulder check meant tacking your eye of the track for a sec to get the game to check your blind spot.  Most people turned it off in a hurry with the game, but it was a neat approach to utilizing the previous Kinect's abilities.

I can't wait to really see the full potential of Kinect in games.  It has impressed me so far with the Vocal Command system of the XBox already, and it's visual recognition is way beyond its predecessor already!