Hyperloop. From the makers of paypal, Tesla Motors...

Started by Darren Dirt, August 24, 2013, 09:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.forbes.com/sites/netapp/2013/08/12/hyperloop-revealed-elon-musk/

Some of the speculations in the article make me think of Space Quest (2, I think) ... will it be basically like a spitball in a straw?  8)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

It's already been fully released now, that article is kindof old. And Elon is about to release a new idea of his soon :P

Also I've really started to hate how most journalism has turned into that kind of bullcrap speculation business.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Darren Dirt

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2013, 05:27:10 PM
Uh, thats what I just said... Why the link spam?

The links are to the blog of Musk, instead of speculations. And to the detailed 50 page PDF with the specs (that he wants others to analyze and eventually implement). It appears the tech details are cliff-note-icized in the Wikipedia article about Hyperloop.

I didn't realize OP was nearly two weeks ago, which in tech news is ancient  ;)

Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2013, 06:50:57 AM
It's already been fully released now, that article is kindof old. And Elon is about to release a new idea of his soon :P
What "new idea" you talkin' about, Willis?

PS: Looks like there's plenty of feasibility-analysis articles sprouting up on the web. And most seem to be saying "this CAN happen"  8) , for example:
http://www.gizmag.com/hyperloop-musk-analysis/28672/

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 25, 2013, 07:27:13 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2013, 06:50:57 AM
What "new idea" you talkin' about, Willis?
It hasn't been released yet. It's supposed to come out in a week or two. I haven't heard any details at all about it yet. Other than "gabbo is coming".

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on August 25, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
I haven't heard any details at all about it yet. Other than "gabbo is coming".

At first I was all like "codename: Gabbo"? really?

Then I Google'd. bastard.

edit:

wow. It's like Leap Motion + cool CAD software + 3D printing, I guess?

Tom

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

How technically feasible it is will be proved with a test track, how economically feasible it is will be proved by the estimated cost of development vs how they are going to pay for it vs how much they are going to charge a person to travel. Sadly it has risk written all over it.

People look at rail in the US and decry how "bad" it is, it's actually quite advanced... for freight, but that's the problem, freight is worth a lot more to railroads than people, in fact outside the east coast you won't find much passenger service, and certainly nothing serious and CERTAINLY nothing cheaper than air or bus travel. The big problem is that while there are multiple cross-country paths freight always takes priority so for some time now there has been a lot of thought directed at how to add new lines specifically for passengers, the main problem is that in the last 150 years a lot of stuff has built up around the optimal routes which are already being used for existing rail and highways. Do they punch new tunnels in mountains? Add new bridges for use with such a system? What state do you even sell something like this? California is bankrupt, most states don't need the volume and those that do already have passenger service (Chicago / Boston / New York)

Then there are the distances to contend with
Distance from LA to San Francisco is approx 600 km, doesn't seem so far right? The longest bullet train line (Tōhoku Shinkansen) is 675 km, it's also the most difficult to maintain.

I hope we'll see them get as far as a practical working example somewhere, like the old SAFEGE test track, maybe even get a couple of urban development deals but I don't see it going city to city, not unless there's big bux to be made.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Also if they DO build it will it lead to the future world of 2133 as depicted in Gene Roddenberry's Genesis II?

"It's like Star Trek... but with Trains"
~Me, 1995 AD
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 04, 2013, 10:19:39 AM
Also if they DO build it will it lead to the future world of 2133 as depicted in Gene Roddenberry's Genesis II?

That TV series pilot's story began on the day on which it died.