When PCs become too dangerous!

Started by Thorin, September 27, 2006, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Good advice for the DM (but not particularly helpful for us players :P )

PCs with Excessive Firepower
In the campaign I run, my players went on a dragon hunting frenzy. The wealth they gained from this allowed them to buy equipment that I feel is just too powerful (Example, a 10th Lv Barbarian/4th Lv fighter/1st level frenzied beserker having a +5 sword with Keen, wounding, and flame burst, making this a +10 equivalent sword.) I can't seem to find anything that is a challenge to them. They want me to start using NPCs with powerful items as a challenge, but I fear this will just give them more powerful Items. What can I do to challenge my players?
As I indicated in another post, we're not really out of whack with the average wealth for our level, but this article does give a good example of what can happen when characters have too much treasure.

Players Who Are Too Smart
Recently, one of the players in my game came up with an interesting strategy. An army of 300 orcs was gathered around a bonfire, trying to keep warm. This player's character was a Psion, possessing a hat of disguise, and his plan was to look like an orc (using the hat), waltz into the center of the camp, and repeatedly blast the surrounding orcs using his Energy Blast power. In order to throw suspecting orcs off his trail, he said he was going to imitate the other orcs' actions to make them believe he had been hit, too. This would no doubt devastate a massive number of orcs, unbalancing the threat that they are meant to impose. What would happen in this case? Is there anything (fair and reasonable) that I can do?
Hah, the Psion's player isn't really too smart.  It's more that the player has convinced the DM that the player's plan is foolproof.  And no, I would never walk my character out into a horde of orcs like that.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Recently, one of the players in my game came up with an interesting strategy. An army of 300 orcs was gathered around a bonfire, trying to keep warm. This player's character was a Psion, possessing a hat of disguise, and his plan was to look like an orc (using the hat), waltz into the center of the camp, and repeatedly blast the surrounding orcs using his Energy Blast power. In order to throw suspecting orcs off his trail, he said he was going to imitate the other orcs' actions to make them believe he had been hit, too. This would no doubt devastate a massive number of orcs, unbalancing the threat that they are meant to impose. What would happen in this case? Is there anything (fair and reasonable) that I can do?

I think in that case the DM would have a rather large number of characters to repeatedly be rolling to see if they by pass the disguise, this would greatly increase his chance of rolling a natural 20.

Also in order to pretend to be hit, the DM would be able to roll many times to see if the Bluff worked and if the orks noticed..

In any event I suspect the character would die.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on September 27, 2006, 10:50:34 AM
I think in that case the DM would have a rather large number of characters to repeatedly be rolling to see if they by pass the disguise, this would greatly increase his chance of rolling a natural 20.

Also in order to pretend to be hit, the DM would be able to roll many times to see if the Bluff worked and if the orks noticed..

Yes, all points addressed in the article.  Methinks you didn't follow the link :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 27, 2006, 03:24:25 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on September 27, 2006, 10:50:34 AM

Yes, all points addressed in the article.  Methinks you didn't follow the link :P

I did now.. and I was right...

Tom

Am I the only one who reads the topic title and thinks PC means Personal Computer? Even after I visited the thread a couple times, I'm still reading it as Personal Computer... I was expecting something like a PSU or really large Capacitor explosion, or a laptop's battery exploding :o (yes, explode, not just catch fire :o)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

My head isn't much ANY place these days ;) It would have helped if I would learn to associate the board with the posts ;) but I'm just so damn used to the recent topic lists on forums :D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 27, 2006, 08:10:05 PM
My head isn't much ANY place these days ;) It would have helped if I would learn to associate the board with the posts ;) but I'm just so damn used to the recent topic lists on forums :D

Just joshing you...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom