What is Role Playing?

Started by Mr. Analog, September 19, 2007, 04:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Anyone thinking about getting into it but has no idea what it is or where to start might want to take a look. Here's a great article of what Role Playing Games are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_games

That said:

As Boromir says, no one just rocks, err, walks into Mordor. Generally speaking RPGs aren't typically something you can pick up in a few minutes and start playing, rather you invest time and effort into building a character, their identity and background and then you join a group of people who've done the same. Group interaction is where RPGing really shines (and kicks the butt of MMOs or board games) because you're interfacing with "real" people.

We use the d20 system, which is the current evolution of Dungeons & Dragons ruleset over the years, everything from cavemen with clubs to astronauts with rayguns is encompassed by the current core set of rules and they are used for D&D, d20 Modern and d20 Future (there are even more games out there too!). The system is fairly basic, you have statistics which represent yourself, then you have skills and bonuses and then you roll dice and add those numbers together to try to do something. So for example, I'd like to climb a cliff to get to the top. My "climbing" skill bonus is based off of my basic strengths, abilities and what I know about climbing. I roll a 20 sided dice and add the number that it determines to whatever my Climb skill is. Pretty easy huh? Well that's just the beginning! Most of what make RP'ing fun is that you create a character and sort of become them (like an actor chooses a role). The story being told with your custom character becomes the real focus that changes what you're doing from being just a game to being an adventure. So to get back to the cliff example, it's not so much that you can climb the cliff it's why you climb the cliff that becomes interesting. Your character can be whatever you can imagine (with some limits) it is important that your role stay consistant and that you try not to break the fourth wall. Experienced RP'ers can flip in and out of character during gameplay seemlessely but it can take a bit of getting used to to. While you play you enter a bit of a shared imagination zone and it's really important that that zone stay intact (so, even if there is an important hockey game or whatnot we keep that off or reschedule the night haha).

The best way to get started with any RPG is to sit down with the rule book and start reading. Most modern books have examples of character building and show how the game works through narrative (particularly the D&D 3.5 Players Handbook).

If you want to join a pre-existing campaign you have to get to know the other players and the characters they play. Each one has a personality and you'll have to see how you'd fit into such a group.

I'm rambling a bit but, please check out the Wiki article first and if that seems interesting ask someone to borrow a book or two. From there contact the person who runs the game you want to join and see if you can arrange a meet n' greet or at the very least discuss your character idea with them.

Pen & Paper role playing can be a truly rewarding experience, but it does take some investiture to get started.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 20, 2007, 12:14:56 AM
Nicely put.

I know you were going to write up something similar so I thought I'd get the juices flowing first (since it was in my brain and I had a funny picture already).

I think it's good for people to become interested in playing but they have to know the scope of what goes on.
By Grabthar's Hammer