When it comes to RPGs I like

Started by Mr. Analog, October 29, 2007, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When it comes to RPGs I like...

Battle & Tactics
Role Playing & Character Development
A mix of both

Mr. Analog

This is more of a reality check but I'm curious to see what people are "in" pen & paper RPGs for.

A follow up question is; are game mechanics simply a means to an end, something to be challenged in itself or somewhat superfluous?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I think game mechanics are a means to an end.  They give us a structure to settle disputes on actions (did I hit the monster/did I unlock the chest/did I trick the guard).  I think that game mechanics should be generally adhered to because it allows the players to accurately gauge what their characters should be able to accomplish; however, I know that game mechanics should not overrule the word of the DM/GM since sometimes the DM/GM needs to alter reality for the plot to advance.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 29, 2007, 03:22:03 PM
I think game mechanics are a means to an end.  They give us a structure to settle disputes on actions (did I hit the monster/did I unlock the chest/did I trick the guard).  I think that game mechanics should be generally adhered to because it allows the players to accurately gauge what their characters should be able to accomplish; however, I know that game mechanics should not overrule the word of the DM/GM since sometimes the DM/GM needs to alter reality for the plot to advance.
I totally agree.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!