Where the Characters at?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 10, 2011, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So what's the DM recommended way to get the scores? The book recommends either using the standard array, or the score table.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Point buy system, Method 2: Customizing Scores, PHB1 Page 17
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on April 11, 2011, 01:19:29 PM
Coo.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 11, 2011, 12:59:55 PMWe'll see. Those are just the ideas I got within the first 24 pages of the PHB. My first idea was #2. And I might still go that way. He'd be a bit outgoing. But I don't really /do/ outgoing all that well. ;)

Well, and I'm just sayin', you're allowed to come up with ideas before you read the classes/races/gods but it's cool :)

Whatever you pick will be fun!

Quote from: Melbosa on April 11, 2011, 01:14:58 PM
I find 4E to be faster and streamlined, but with a new element of strategy around Marks and Battlefield manipulation.  I also find you can run into the MMO problem of way to many choices for powers and focus on only a few in your arsenal as you get higher levels.  While more choice isn't necessarily a bad thing, it isn't something I've run into with Paperback RPGs as often.  Typically (like in 3.5) your casters might have a variety to choose from, but in 4E everyone gets that chance.

From what I've read so far the focus seems more on diverse character powers than vanilla powers augmented/modded by magic items, where in older games if you were a fighter over say level 3 you'd already be festooned with magic items to boost your powers or you'd be multi-classing to take advantage of opportunities your base class doesn't support, in 4e you can get a variety of cool abilities just through your class or race power sets. I kinda like this because I think you see less "typical" builds  on average, but yes, also less specialization too.

Quote from: Melbosa on April 11, 2011, 01:19:29 PM

I posted links to a couple of different point buy calculators you can check out on the rpg forum
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 11, 2011, 01:37:45 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 11, 2011, 12:59:55 PMWe'll see. Those are just the ideas I got within the first 24 pages of the PHB. My first idea was #2. And I might still go that way. He'd be a bit outgoing. But I don't really /do/ outgoing all that well. ;)

Well, and I'm just sayin', you're allowed to come up with ideas before you read the classes/races/gods but it's cool :)
Already read up on the gods. Tis how I know about Kord and The Raven Queen. ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 11, 2011, 01:40:33 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 11, 2011, 01:37:45 PM

Already read up on the gods. Tis how I know about Kord and The Raven Queen. ;)

Heh, I gathered that, Deities on page 20 or so :P
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I imagine I'll get more ideas as I read on.

Thorin

You're expected to have a fair number of magic items, actually.  And there are very typical builds, which is why for each class they have two or three suggested builds.  But given the number of classes, the fact that there's two or three builds for each, and that you can't just pick up a couple levels in Rogue to get sneak attacks for your Fighter every round, there's less multiclassy min-maxed characters.  Although there are certainly still optimized vs non-optimized characters.

I agree with you that every class now has lots of options, and that while those options usually fill your class role, it's not uncommon to see Fighters with a Controller-type power, or Clerics with a Striker-type power.  Just, they're not your at-wills that you use all the time, they'll be your encounter or daily powers.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I think I've already run into situations where I wouldn't choose a power because there is a magic item and vice versa.

But even flipping through the different edition PHBs it seems like there is less variety in magic items in 4e
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

The add-on books bloom out the magical items... Adventurer Vault 1 & 2 anyway have a lot of magical items.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

To be expected, I'm just saying based on the core PHB it's different from 3.5 or at least it seems that way
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Can I name my character inigo montoya?  ;D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2011, 03:52:19 PM
Can I name my character inigo montoya?  ;D

Sure but your character's nickname will be "Kermit"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Funky, I just noticed the ink in my PHB smears. :o

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2011, 04:10:28 PM
Funky, I just noticed the ink in my PHB smears. :o

You must be reading it too hard, back up a little!
By Grabthar's Hammer