Where the Characters at?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 10, 2011, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 14, 2011, 06:02:57 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2011, 04:10:28 PM
Funky, I just noticed the ink in my PHB smears. :o

You must be reading it too hard, back up a little!
:P
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

I'm having a /really/ hard time concentrating, I had planned on getting my character done tonight, but it might not be done till tomorrow :(

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 14, 2011, 07:30:16 PM
What part is holding you up?
My concentration. For a while there I just wasn't able to read more than a few lines at a time. And even then I'd have to re-read stuff over and over.

Its a little better now. I think I might go DragonBorn :D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2011, 07:39:46 PM
My concentration. For a while there I just wasn't able to read more than a few lines at a time. And even then I'd have to re-read stuff over and over.

Ah ok :)

I get like that when I'm tired, usually I put the book down at that pont. Sometimes I find having some background music on helps.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 14, 2011, 11:31:15 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2011, 07:39:46 PM

Ah ok :)

I get like that when I'm tired, usually I put the book down at that pont. Sometimes I find having some background music on helps.
Yeah, it seems to be the main side effect of the lamotrogine atm. That and tiredness. both are /supposed/ to go away after being on it a couple/few weeks. I hope it happens or I'll have to find something else, as I just can't function like this. Considering I've been having the same concentration issues the past few days. even after getting plenty of sleep.

Got a ways into the book though. Still thinking about doing a Dragonborn Figter that follows Kord. Though its getting a little away from my original idea of the character's personality, I'll just play that character some other time. Breathing fire/ice/whatever is just too damn cool.

Mr. Analog

Understandable, also I did not know you had epilepsy.

Your character sounds interesting, can't wait to see the rest of his MO
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

A dragonborn fighter who follows the god of strength, physical power, and competition.  That'll definitely be fun!

Dragonborn are pretty good for fighters.  The +2 Charisma is kind of a throwaway, unless you want him to be able to intimidate foes into surrendering once they're bloodied (Intimidate skill is based on Charisma, so a bonus to Charisma helps there) - I forgot, they updated the dragonborn so that you get +2 Strength and then your choice of +2 Charisma or +2 Constitution.  The dragonbreath once per encounter gives the fighter an area attack, as most fighter powers are single-target melee attacks.

For fighters, make sure you read how marking works - it's your job to mark all the enemies and make them want to attack you instead of the squishies.  I think you freely mark anything that you hit, but it only stays marked until the end of your next turn.  There are feats that improve that marking ability as well.

So far, MrA's character Umut comes from a monastery high up in the Dragonpeak Mountains, and my character comes from a wilderness church in the foothills of said mountains.  As a dragonborn, you could easily be chasing your ancestral legacy in and around that same area when we meet?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2011, 06:57:22 AM
Understandable, also I did not know you had epilepsy.
I don't, its prescribed for BiPolar and Anxiety

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2011, 06:57:22 AM
Your character sounds interesting, can't wait to see the rest of his MO

Quote from: Thorin on April 15, 2011, 10:59:48 AM
A dragonborn fighter who follows the god of strength, physical power, and competition.  That'll definitely be fun!

Dragonborn are pretty good for fighters.  The +2 Charisma is kind of a throwaway, unless you want him to be able to intimidate foes into surrendering once they're bloodied (Intimidate skill is based on Charisma, so a bonus to Charisma helps there) - I forgot, they updated the dragonborn so that you get +2 Strength and then your choice of +2 Charisma or +2 Constitution.  The dragonbreath once per encounter gives the fighter an area attack, as most fighter powers are single-target melee attacks.

For fighters, make sure you read how marking works - it's your job to mark all the enemies and make them want to attack you instead of the squishies.  I think you freely mark anything that you hit, but it only stays marked until the end of your next turn.  There are feats that improve that marking ability as well.

Thanks for the tip, I'll study that.

Quote from: Thorin on April 15, 2011, 10:59:48 AM
So far, MrA's character Umut comes from a monastery high up in the Dragonpeak Mountains, and my character comes from a wilderness church in the foothills of said mountains.  As a dragonborn, you could easily be chasing your ancestral legacy in and around that same area when we meet?
That and trying to prove his skills in some battle or another. I think he'd even enjoy the occasional battle contest.

Mr. Analog

Ah, I see :)

You gonna be okay to come out tomorrow? I know what it's like getting used to new drugs (a pain in the butt!)

Anyway, your character sounds like he's shaping up nicely :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2011, 12:52:51 PM
Ah, I see :)

You gonna be okay to come out tomorrow? I know what it's like getting used to new drugs (a pain in the butt!)
I'll just skip a dose, one won't hurt ;)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2011, 12:52:51 PM
Anyway, your character sounds like he's shaping up nicely :)

Tom

Got a question, In the book here its listing To Hit stats, as N[W] (ie: 1[W] or 2[W]) is that a multiplier against the weapon's to hit stats? So using one of the Exploits that has a Hit stat of 2[W] doubles the To Hit stats of the weapon?

Mr. Analog

I believe it's one handed or two handed, just like 3.5
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Some of the higher level abilities/exploits have 3[W], and I'm pretty sure all the main character types only have two hands.

Thorin

N[W] means that you roll the weapon dice N times.  If you use a longsword, its weapon die is 1d8.  For a 1[W] hit, you roll 1[1d8], or 1d8.  For a 2[W] hit, you roll 2[1d8], or 2d8.  There's a weapon (falchion, I think?) for which the weapon dice is 2d4.  So for a 1[W] hit, you roll 1[2d4], or 2d4, and for a 2[W] hit, you roll 2[2d4], or 4d4.

Keep in mind that things added to that are normally not multiplied.  If you have Strength of 16 (+3) and you're using a longsword (1d8), 1[W]+Str is 1d8+3 and 2[W]+Str is 2d8+3.  4th edition tries really hard to keep people from stacking all kinds of bonuses together to make broken characters like you could in 3rd.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are four defenses: AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.  Of these, AC is usually a couple of points higher.  Of these, AC is the most likely defense when swinging a weapon.  But weapons add a proficiency bonus to offset the slightly higher average AC vs the other defenses.  Some weapons give +2 to the attack, others +3, but of course only if you're proficient with them.  Generally it's a tradeoff between a better chance to hit (+3 instead of +2) and more damage (1d8 instead of 1d10).  Oh, and military weapons are better than simple weapons, that's just how it goes.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful