Save the Beaches?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 24, 2014, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we add a command block that just gives you 64 sand rather than dig up all the beaches?

Yes
1 (33.3%)
No
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Mr. Analog

Now that we have the overviewer running I can see where beaches used to be, so, the question is: do we care about strip mining sand?

Thoughts?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I answered No because I think a big part of making big builds in Survival Multi Player is collecting the resources.  If we're going to make command blocks that just hand out resources, why not go a step further and just switch to Creative Multi Player?

Also, there's nothing stopping us from saving the beaches by leaving _some_ sand, say, in a flat layer so we don't see the rock underneath.  I also wonder what happens with sand dug up from the mesas...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

How about leaving local beaches, but going out to find beaches is ok?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Sounds fine by me, if we can find a desert that would be even better.

Just putting it out there since sand appears to be in short supply
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, I don't mind stripping a desert or two. Get lots of sandstone that way too :D

Mr. Analog

Exactly, I want to build another sandstone structure and that means either finding a lot of it or using 4x the sand
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I have a desert base for sand mining here, if anyone wants to use it.  There's 22 furnaces inside.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: LennyLen on April 24, 2014, 01:03:39 PM
I have a desert base for sand mining here, if anyone wants to use it.  There's 22 furnaces inside.

Wow okay, I didn't see that on the map before

Thanks

Sand problems solved
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

700 blocks southwest from spawn, there's a desert almost as big as the mesa.  And it appears quite hilly, too, so if we just saw off the top of the hills to get our sand we'll still have this nice flat-top desert with no water in it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

There is no sand shortage...

Also if you want to collect clay in the mesa without making it look bad you can just start hollowing out the mountains, they are solid clay for the most part.

Mr. Analog

Yep, as stated before, last time I saw the overviewer the desert wasn't there so I think we're in good shape for sand (and clay!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 25, 2014, 09:01:15 AM
Yep, as stated before, last time I saw the overviewer the desert wasn't there

I think the Overviewer has been doing strange things.  I'd been all over that desert before Thomas even had it running.

Tom

If you're both talking about that huge desert in the middle there, it's always been on the map for me :o

Mr. Analog

Maybe it wasn't loading properly
By Grabthar's Hammer