You guys interested in playing a New Map?

Started by Mr. Analog, August 16, 2018, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minecraft Server Options

One of us sets up hosting
4 (100%)
We pay for Minecraft Realms
0 (0%)
We pay for some other hosting service
0 (0%)
Something else...
0 (0%)
Not interested
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Mr. Analog

I feel like mining and crafting in the newest version and there are a lot of options open to us here, I'm not sure Tom is interested in hosting again but there are some other options available.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I would absolutely love to play on a new map.  I think I'd like the server hosted by one of us, because that way we can add in mods if we so desire.  Realms doesn't allow any mods.  I'm also assuming you'd wanna play the Java edition like we've been doing all along, rather than the bedrock edition (which works on Win10, phones, tablets, and xboxes)?  Java edition and Bedrock edition have different things in them and aren't interoperable, even through Realms.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

As noted in another post bedrock also doesn't really have advanced self hosted server options yet.

I might be willing to host a server if needed, I think there are some docker containers floating around, I can probably just drop it on my NAS.. I have fairly dependable service here, not sure about my own time to commit to playing.

My kids all play bedrock edition however and I am not 100% sure I want to get them on to Java edition at this point.. Despite the lack of mods I fined the windows 10 bedrock client MUCH smoother performance wise than Java edition when I play with them. They might want to join the server.

I have some interest in playing, but I am fairly tired of mincraft as I have been playing on and off with my kids lately.

Tom

I can also keep a server up. the old one should still be up.. if its not, Whups?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Sounds like we want to host the Java version, who wants to get it rolling?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Tom, you willing to spin up a new map on your server, and keep it running?  We want it to be 1.13 all the way, baby!  I want to actually swim, not just jump through the deep water, while holding a shield and a trident and following a school of dolphins...

(getting a trident is pretty difficult)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I can probably figure something out.

I'm about to do some work on my firewall, so it won't be like RIGHT NOW. but perhaps in a few hours? or later today?

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 17, 2018, 10:14:38 PM
I want to actually swim, not just jump through the deep water, while holding a shield and a trident and following a school of dolphins...

Queue seed that has no ocean... LOL..

The one I am playing with my kids right now is mostly ocean.. but the new boats with ores and the dolphin speed boost make getting around long distances on water easier.

Don't forget that the water mechanics have changed.. water logged blocks change how some under water building mechanics work.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on August 18, 2018, 08:55:59 AM
I can probably figure something out.

I'm about to do some work on my firewall, so it won't be like RIGHT NOW. but perhaps in a few hours? or later today?

Yeah man, just let us know when it's available and how to connect to it.

Too bad Overviewer doesn't work with 1.13 :(
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Thorin

Cool!  I'm jumping on with my son.  We'll explore, but we'll leave all the treasure in place (and put the treasure map back) for other people to also see it.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 18, 2018, 12:50:36 PM
Too bad Overviewer doesn't work with 1.13 :(

https://github.com/overviewer/Minecraft-Overviewer/pull/1471

There is a new branch in progress that makes it work but it isn't all there. Apparently nearly everything is hard-coded to the old file format and in 1.13 a new dynamic format for worlds was created.. They are making it work by mapping the new back to the old.

Thorin

Tom, thank you for starting the new map.  Can you please turn off mob griefing?  I keep having to fill in creeper holes.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Can do. When I'm back in lunix... or wait, I have putty installed. nm.

Tom

Looking at it, you should have been able to run: /gamerule mobGriefing false