You guys interested in playing a New Map?

Started by Mr. Analog, August 16, 2018, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minecraft Server Options

One of us sets up hosting
4 (100%)
We pay for Minecraft Realms
0 (0%)
We pay for some other hosting service
0 (0%)
Something else...
0 (0%)
Not interested
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 22, 2018, 08:28:29 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 21, 2018, 06:47:05 PM
Quote from: Thorin on August 21, 2018, 03:21:04 PM
Overviewer is switching from Google Maps to Leaflet, and are offering a bounty ($700USD according to their twitter) for whoever wants to re-write the map-reading part of the code.
Sounds like my jam. If I had the time. loool. I have decent code for the last map format. I imagine the new format would probably be more sane, one would hope.

It couldn't be less (jinx!!)
Less my jam? ;)

But come on, if they are going to break something it makes sense to actually think about making the new thing less stupid than the last. Of course noone said Mojang or MS made sense.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 22, 2018, 09:05:45 AM
Overviewer is switching from Google Maps to Leaflet, and are offering a bounty ($700USD according to their twitter) for whoever wants to re-write the map-reading part of the code.
Sounds like my jam. If I had the time. loool. I have decent code for the last map format. I imagine the new format would probably be more sane, one would hope.

Less my jam? ;)

But come on, if they are going to break something it makes sense to actually think about making the new thing less stupid than the last. Of course noone said Mojang or MS made sense.
I meant less of a mess, you're more capable than notch or whoever designed the original world gen lol

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 22, 2018, 09:13:20 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 22, 2018, 09:05:45 AM

Less my jam? ;)

I meant less of a mess, you're more capable than notch or whoever designed the original world gen lol

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Oh, I must have misread. Yeah, it'd be hard for them to make a new format that makes less sense. The old format was a Notch exclusive (though looked similar to the torrent file format), and then they extended it to add more tile types since the original format used a single byte to store some properties of tiles. Turns out 256 isn't enough.And their hack-around was to add a second section with another byte per tile/block which you then have to shift+mask together to deal with tiles/blocks with larger ids. GRAH.

I really want to get back to my map loader/renderer. It was almost walkable. But I had issues with culling. Drawing every single face on every single block in the loaded world is a non-starter.

I hope the new format helps with streaming the map data. before you had to load an entire chunk at a time, or if you're very clever, you could MAYBE stream in chunk slices. MAYBE. but I think each chunk is compressed together... And decompressing slices can only work if they allowed for that at compression time. soooo.. yeah....

Tom

It's been my assumption and understanding that they've been transitioning the java implementation towards the Native versions. I imagine eventually they'll be able to share a lot of stuff. then they'll get rid of the java version.

Thorin

I think the change is that they made block storage a variable size format now?  Not sure on the details, but for sure it completely changed how tools read the blocks.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Server needs an update looks like 1.13.1 is out
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2018, 12:43:42 PM
Server needs an update looks like 1.13.1 is out

The launcher will let you create a profile with a FIXED / old mincraft version, it isn't all that intuitive.

- Launch options
- Add new and set the version to 1.13
- Save
- To back to any o the news/Skins/Settings tabs
- The play button will have an arrow that will let you set the new profile.

Mr. Analog

I know, I ended up playing today for a bit. I really hate this jungle lol I need to find a flat place to build
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2018, 05:46:28 PM
I know, I ended up playing today for a bit. I really hate this jungle lol I need to find a flat place to build

I have mapped the next closest land mass..

I was thinking of digging a nether shortcut to it.

Lazybones

Bah... screwed up the coordinats on my first portal.. don't have diamond pick to correct it.

Created a new correct tunnel, just need the obsidian to open the portal it SHOULD land over the plains.. The nether level is HIGH up so if created from their it will be up in the sky when the other end generates.

Thorin

There should be obsidian in the Safe-T Hut, as well as a diamond pickaxe.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 26, 2018, 11:21:11 PM
There should be obsidian in the Safe-T Hut, as well as a diamond pickaxe.

I found the obsidian but not the diamond pickaxe, hence how I was able to build a portal but not fix it.

Thorin

The diamond pick was in the right-most chest.  I'm out camping and have nothing to do and a giant data plan for cheap, so I went online and fixed it up for you.  I removed the portal (on the overworld and in the nether) for your wrong coordinates, then figured out the perfect-match coordinates for the new one you wanted to the plains and set those up.

I also built a nether portal that leads to a savannah with horses and a couple of llamas.  The portal is at 40,80 in the nether, 320,640 in the overworld.

I thought 112 in the nether would be safe to dig tunnels, but man, there's a lot of places that I was digging tunnels where there suddenly wasn't any floor!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 27, 2018, 01:32:06 PM
The diamond pick was in the right-most chest.  I'm out camping and have nothing to do and a giant data plan for cheap, so I went online and fixed it up for you.  I removed the portal (on the overworld and in the nether) for your wrong coordinates, then figured out the perfect-match coordinates for the new one you wanted to the plains and set those up.

I also built a nether portal that leads to a savannah with horses and a couple of llamas.  The portal is at 40,80 in the nether, 320,640 in the overworld.

I thought 112 in the nether would be safe to dig tunnels, but man, there's a lot of places that I was digging tunnels where there suddenly wasn't any floor!

I noticed the same as per my bridge to the wrong one and the dead end to the open.

Also noticed there are very small lava pockets even as high up as we are.

Thorin

Yeah, lava pockets were always there, even in the high elevations.  But 112 was supposed to be guaranteed netherrack, I wonder if they changed that?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful