Yesterday's Windows Updates problems (Vista)

Started by Mags, December 11, 2007, 09:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mags

If anyone is having problems with yesterdays windows updates, I may have a solution for you. After spending a couple hours with Microsoft support, it seems that one of the updates (most likely Defender) may be incompatible with your anti-virus program (in my case AVG).

You can try disabling you anti virus in msconfig to see if it works for you.

Just thought I would pass that on, since I spent the day on the warpath with Microsoft and don't wish that on anyone.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mags

Oh yeah, and just as an aside, Microsoft themselves are telling people to turn off User Account Control if at all possible for the numerous conflicts it has. Thought I would pass that along as well.

Melbosa

I might suggest dropping AVG for anotehr program like Avast.  More often than not it can be the cause of issues, and isn't very reliable once you do get infected.  Just a suggestion.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Avast > AVG that is for sure.

As for Vista.... SP1 is in RC.... Lets hope it fixes a bunch of the issues. I am really starting to agree with the Mac Ads.

Mags

Yeah, originally switched from Avast because AVG found a virus that Avast missed. Trying Avira now, seems to be the best rated of the free programs. Does have occasional annoying pop-ups, but it is free so...

Lazybones

Shayne

Does everyone here actually use an Antivirus?  I haven't since college (bout 6 years ago)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 13, 2007, 08:11:59 PM
Does everyone here actually use an Antivirus?  I haven't since college (bout 6 years ago)

C'mon man, why bother trolling here?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 13, 2007, 09:16:33 PM

Its not trolling unless you don't use one cause you run an alternative operating system. *cough*

;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mags

Quote from: Lazybones on December 13, 2007, 11:20:28 AM
Hmm you are right AVG has a better detection rate than Avast

Top 20
http://winnow.oitc.com/AntiVirusPerformance.html

Stats
http://winnow.oitc.com/avmalwarestats.php

Surprised AntiVir (a.k.a. Avira) rated higher then Kaspersky. And Nod32 rate so low, heard it was one of the best...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 14, 2007, 01:38:49 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 13, 2007, 09:16:33 PM

Its not trolling unless you don't use one cause you run an alternative operating system. *cough*

;)

It's a loaded question Tom, flamebait for people who rely on antivirus software VS those who manage security on their own. Both have merits and it may be worth talking about in its own thread, but it's not a constructive conversation in a thread where someone has just had problems with the use of antivirus software. Regardless of OS.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I'm sorry that my curiosity had me post in the wrong thread.  Conversations can't evolve here eh?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 14, 2007, 08:06:48 AM
I'm sorry that my curiosity had me post in the wrong thread.  Conversations can't evolve here eh?

Deal with it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Personally I don't have a problem with the post, however I would like to see the pissing match stop right now. It probably would be an interesting topic to discuss in a thread of its own.