John Carmack's take on cell phone games

Started by Ustauk, March 28, 2005, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

Lazybones

Cool stuff.. Hopefully some of the phone developers / portable device developers take notice and act.

But really does my phone need to be a gaming platform, / Camera / PDA, brick?

Phone + PDA makes sense to me, but not to everyone.. I carry my phone everywhere, having PDA functions to go with all those numbers I program into it would be great. Most of the existing phones have something that resembles a calender but the interface sucks and they often charge another $100 for a cable to connect it to your PC..

Makes me sad that devices such as the Motorola MPX300 have huge flaws such as a lack of memory..

The camera's bother me.. They are poor quality and the provider often ties a huge fee to transferring your pictures with it. Also if you work in a high security environment you can't take your phone with you.

Mr. Analog

I play this great game with my phone, it's called "remember to charge the battery" there is another game that is very similar called "where'd I put the phone?" they are both fun and I play them once or twice a week...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

*smiles at Mr. A in appreciation for reminder why I don't have a cell phone*

PS: Like what Mr. Carmack said re. Java, specifically Java-for-the-cellphone: "Write-once-run-anywhere. Ha. Hahahahaha." :D

---

Hey look, Carmack's "Fountainhead Entertainment" is coming out with a documentary film "GAMERS" - the 4 minute trailer is actually quite impressive:

http://www.fountainheadent.com/gamers/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.