On Nintendo's newest handheld systems

Started by Tonnica, September 27, 2005, 01:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonnica

Just last weekend I was out at Futureshop taking a look at the Gameboy Micro, considering purchasing it to replace my original disco-white GBA. It was cute, but there's no way I would get added visiblity from a screen that was about the size of one of my eyes. It didn't help that they didn't have a demo model running, so back to the drawing board it was for me and my decision.

So to try to find out more info I was prodding around Slashdot today and ran across this story about a quiet release of an updated GBA SP model with added brightness and clarity. A quick check of EBGames reminded me of these models were previously Japan-only available models as noted in the "nooooooo!" comment at the bottom of this page. At only $80 USD the newer model of the GBA SP actually looks like a better deal than the DS. It can play original GB/GBC games (the DS cannot), has a reportedly brighter screen than the DS, and isn't top-heavy like the DS. The decided deficiency of the non-DS systems is just that: no DS games for you!

It's like three people at the Nintendo offices were leaning over to pick up the same ball and their heads all konked together. The upgraded SP, the Micro, and the DS are three fairly viable tiers of Gameboy Advance game supporting hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo continues to make money on all three systems too. Even in competition with the graphically superior PSP, the huge back catalouge of GBA games and continued production of new GBA titles keeps the Nintendo handhelds afloat.

I'm really not sure what I want to replace my disco-white Gameboy Advance with now. Holding the sun next to the screen makes it hard to play adventure games.

Mr. Analog

Hmm, maybe it's time to re-invest in my Gameboy collection! I bought my GB back in 1990 and have since played it to death, though my only concern is if I buy a Gameboy game player thingie attachment thing for my GameCube I might not use the portable gaming device...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Im a huge fan of the Micro (though i havent actually seen or held one).  Its very ipodish in its size and design, and i really want to hold one and give it a go.  Gameboy has some of the best Strategy and RPGs available and with my constant train riding i think id get good use out of it.

The Duel Screen is a POS on the other hand.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Hmm, maybe it's time to re-invest in my Gameboy collection! I bought my GB back in 1990 and have since played it to death, though my only concern is if I buy a Gameboy game player thingie attachment thing for my GameCube I might not use the portable gaming device...

Pacman World 2 + Gameboy Advance = "ability to play on NGC as 3 ghosts vs. Pacman on the GBA"! Would be cool to try that out one day :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.