Looking for a New digital point and shoot camera

Started by Lazybones, September 18, 2007, 04:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Well I expect to be taking more pictures in the near future, and my 35mm just isn't that convenient and my phone takes horrid pictures.

I would like to get a new digital point and shoot camera with the following priorities:
- Picture quality (most important feature, should have quality optics for its size)
- Battery life (I have seen far to many digital cameras that can barely shoot 36 photos)
- size (I am looking for a point and shoot I can take anywhere and is durable)
- Under $500

Those are my key requirements, I would really like some suggestions if anyone has any.

CowGirl

I have a Kodak EasyShare V803
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/v803-review/

I like it a lot.  Thorin is not a big fan that it doesn't use regular Double A batteries. 

My daughter has a Samsung S630
http://www.samsungcamera.com/product/pro_view.asp?prol_uid=2699&cat_uid=11

It's okay but I like her old one better which was a Samsung Digimax 500.  The zoom button on her new one really bothers me, and I don't know if it's the memory cars but it seems to take forever to capture and process the picture.
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Mr. Analog

I cannot recommend the Nikon Coolpix series enough.

McBain Nikon Coolpix List

In terms of compact size, pricing and picture quality. You won't find much better.

Nikon also has a great suite of easy to use software and the accessories are practical and usually fuss free.

When I get home I can geek out about it more.

BIG QUESTION: Are you more interested in quick n' dirty or being able to take nice photos if you want to?

FYI, I am a bit of a Nikon loyalist because it is so far the ONLY camera manufacturer that hasn't @%&#ed me over yet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am looking for a camera that I can hand to someone to take my picture without  giving them any direction other than click this button. Extra features don't hurt as long as they don't manifest them selves as hundreds of symbols and buttons on the camera.

Thorin

You want anti-shake/anti-blur.  That way even a shaky grandma gets a sharp picture...  But I'm sorry, I can't recommend one camera over another for you.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful