Teens React To NIRVANA aka "old music"

Started by Darren Dirt, April 15, 2014, 11:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

that rare video that makes me NOT feel hopeless about the next generation ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPbHUZQ-VE

Most of the kids don't just enjoy the music (and the videos they are shown) but a few of them actually GET IT re. why Nirvana was different (especially in contrast to what pablum they have been spoon-fed in this era).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Reminds me of the days when the radio would play songs uncensored over the air at night

so much has changed since then!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The current generation of kids are by no means spoon-fed pablum - there is an abundance of good to great music being listened to as the kids are tuning out the radio and instead looking for and finding indie bands.  All my cars these days have to have aux jacks for a phone or music player to be plugged in, and it's not uncommon for them to use their data plans to stream youtube videos for music while we're driving.

Yeah, the Top 40 songs were better in the 90s, but I would suggest that many kids these days don't bother listening to Top 40 but instead listen to whatever they've discovered in dark corners of the internet.  I remember in the 90s there was that "All That She Wants" song that kept getting played over and over on the radio and then people bought the album.  That song wouldn't last two days with today's teens, they would tire of it and look for something with more substance (and easily find it).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

That's the thing I guess, your kids have taste, more interesting / complex music used to have a more prominent place on the airwaves. When I was a teen it was the rock/alt stations, we had plenty of bubblegum too no doubt.

Call me bitter but the internet (YouTube, Bandcamp, iTunes, et al) has really become THE place where music happens, is appreciated, shared and enjoyed. Radio seems so drab in comparison (to a universe of unending creative output of all conceivable kind)

Nostalgia is strong, but for every Nirvana there were a hundred Milli Vanillis *shudder*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

As I've spent some time driving past Red Deer and down to Calgary this past sports season, one thing I noticed is that there are more radio stations in Calgary and that this seems to have resulted in more interesting music on the air if you're willing to skip channels at commercial breaks.  Also, Red Deer has a couple of good stations that throw on interesting music at certain times of the day.

It's much easier to get at more music while spending less money these days, that's the difference.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Even more stations in my area..

However I fine my self listening to Slacker Radio / Songza on my phone which is pure music by genre basically.  I also have a few iTunes purchases from Bad Lip Reading in my personal collection for good measure.

however it does seem to me that the main stream pop / hip-hop is still as popular as ever and full of formulaic junk

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 15, 2014, 01:26:36 PM
The current generation of kids are by no means spoon-fed pablum - there is an abundance of good to great music being listened to as the kids are tuning out the radio and instead looking for and finding indie bands.

Agreed! There is WAY more choice in terms of media outlets and therefore more opportunities to find non-mainstream artists.

But the stuff that IS mainstream, it's pablum. That's all I was saying.

Most of it, anyway, obviously not all. And sure in history mainstream pop culture has been LCD, always been a lot of it, just seems to be more and more as the # of owners of the media corporations has shrunk.

Back in the 1970s thru the late 1990s you could have some very system-defying artists on meanstream radio and on MTV/MuchMusic ... nowadays it's only the safe stuff (if you can even find a music video on MTV/Much ;) )

And like Mr. A pointed out or accidentally referred to, the official music video channels on YouTube etc. for the "top 40" artists are what is getting a ridic # of views and re-watches even though there's tons of other artists out there. Kids today are for the most part just as lazy as we were back when we were their ages.

Quote from: Lazybones on April 15, 2014, 02:58:30 PM
however it does seem to me that the main stream pop / hip-hop is still as popular as ever and full of formulaic junk
Yeah. Those kids -- just like the young adults and beyond -- with truly open and curious minds are provided with limitless options to expand their minds and be exposed to variety and hidden gems and stuff, while those who are too busy or apathetic or depressed or high = stick with the formulaic, vaccuous, Pablum (which will prevent [protect?] those minds from opening up). /OldManRant

Lazybones

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 19, 2014, 11:06:19 PM

Not sure whether you're saying this is a good old song or pablum from the late 90s...

bingo. I like the song but is it a good song or something I heard so often when younger it is just tied to positive memories.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on April 19, 2014, 11:10:47 PM

I like the song but is it a good song or something I heard so often when younger it is just tied to positive memories.
Bingo.
Remember POWER 92 PLAYS TODAY'S BEST MUSIC NOW SHOW ME MY MONEY! ? Remember most songs from back then?

...neither do I...

Most of those songs were by no means "the BEST". Noteworthy they were NOT. But hear them today in an oldies mix and dammit the pleasure centres of our brains WILL be triggered. Perhaps only until the rational brain parts kicks in. Or perhaps even still after that.

Pavlovian response includes more than just drool, and is triggered by more than just a bell making a single tone ;)

No wonder record companies hated Napster and the new age of CHOICE and *VARIETY*. Listen to a song twice and still not loving it = move on to something not crappy = less mainstream media purchased. Now the record co execs have to invest in more "shots" to keep revenue a-flowing.

Thorin

Actually the record companies didn't like Napster because it allowed people to get music without the record company getting their gigantic cut.

See TLC.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 20, 2014, 10:30:54 PM
Actually the record companies didn't like Napster because it allowed people to get music without the record company getting their gigantic cut.

See TLC.

Yes, but as a "bonus" it also results in plenty of fence-sitting minds to be opened up to the variety that is actually out there (thus reducing the repetition-based acceptance of LCD music as purchase-worthy).

ps: re TLC, ouch -- double-burn by the same b-word apparently:
Quote from: http://blackamericaweb.com/2013/11/24/tlc-dropped-from-epic-records/
TLC signed a record deal with Epic Records under a cloak of secrecy because L.A. Reid is the chairman and CEO of the record company. Reid is the former husband of Pebbles.  But now, the deal has reportedly gone sour since the airing of  the movie; which depicted Pebbles, an 80′s R&B singer, as a ruthless business woman who stole all of TLC?s money and charged them for use of the name ?TLC.?
see also http://www.centrictv.com/music/articles/2013/10/22/was-pebbles-solely-responsible-for-tlc-money-problems-bankrupty.html
"All's fair in love, war... and the music biz..."

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 15, 2014, 01:36:43 PM
Nostalgia is strong, but for every Nirvana there were a hundred Milli Vanillis *shudder*

HELLS YEAH.

It's June 2014, and Nirvana was JUST inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. FINALLY!

REM's Michael Stipe introductory words provided a GREAT tribute to the band and to Kurt Cobain...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Nirvana+2014+Rock+and+Roll+Hall+Of+Fame+Michael+Stipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag643ahnUC8

Also, both Mr. Stipe and (a very humble!) Mr. Grohl did an amazing job acknowledging the PUNK ROCK roots of Nirvana et al.

Actually it was quite the epic year for the HoF, look who else was inducted...
http://rockhall.com/inductees/ceremonies/2014/

Lazybones

Reminds me of Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World

QuoteIn the wake of its release, Bowie bemoaned the fact that when he performed the number himself he would encounter "kids that come up afterwards and say, 'It's cool you're doing a Nirvana song.' And I think, '@%&# you, you little tosser!'"

You know when the cover is more recognized than the original that the cover band is really doing something right.

Darren Dirt

Speaking of the HoF performance by SMO-Nirvana* , here's how Courtney Love responded to people asking her for "her take on the performance, which saw the remaining members fronted by a quartet of female vocalists"...

Quote from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/05/courtney-love-praises-nirvana-reunion-peace-with-dave-grohl/
Initially, I thought it was sexist, and a little bit ghettoizing

After the question was asked by NOBODY ANYWHERE.

In the end she came around and says she was overall happy with how it went, but maybe that's just because no saxophones were involved. :P

*"surviving members of" -- which year after year does seem to find its way into news articles covering Rock and Roll HoF induction ceremonies... :(