GLaDOS meets HAL 9000 in LEGO?

Started by Mr. Analog, September 25, 2015, 08:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

well there goes another thousand of my dollars...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 25, 2015, 09:06:44 PM
well there goes another thousand of my dollars...
That lego game costs $1000? :o

Thorin

It's one of those games where you have a portal and actual figurines that you put on the portal to unlock the characters in the game, just like Skylanders or Disney Infinity. So to unlock a couple of characters, you have to buy the thirty dollar figurine pack.

And one of the figurine lines is Doctor Who, so you know I'm @%&#ed and will be forking out money I don't have.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Darren Dirt

LEGO ... portal ... plugin figures ... wallet-killer ... ah yes, LEGO DIMENSIONS as I quietly referenced a little while ago...

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 31, 2015, 01:51:11 PM
How is there not a thread about Jurassic World?

(Not O/T -- after all the lead hero character is played by the same guy, totes related ;) )

PS: yup, there's a LEGO VIDEO GAME coming out for it -- complete with a ton of the original voices! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ccPbcSZ04

Also announced (hilariously!) is "LEGO: Dimensions"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kmnrwfDewo
... aka "parents, prepare to be broke!" (so glad my youngest is a teenager ;) )

...and again I repeat, SO glad my kids are past A Certain Age. My wallet is I mean.

PS that video clip is FANTASTIC.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

My house has both the Hulk and the video game displayed here: https://youtu.be/H4U66hVQQRQ?t=19s

Also, we will probably end up getting Lego Dimensions, it's just too cool not to.

To be clear, we bought Skylanders and I was completely impressed by the voice acting and immersive world, even knowing how expensive it would be to get the figurines.  And now we own Skylanders Spyros Adventure, Skylanders Giants, Skylanders Swap Force, Skylanders Trap Team, and most of the figurines that go with it.  Patrick Warburton is absolutely awesome.  Don't ask me how much we've spent on it, though, I doubt my wife knows, and it kills me inside to do the math.  Still, less than I've spent on sports for the other kids at the same age.

I'm sure I'll end up spending a grand or more on Lego Dimensions.  It looks like it's gonna put the whole Skylanders franchise to shame.

And buying a grand worth of Lego Dimensions is still a @%&# of a lot cheaper than having to hire a lawyer for a stupid @%&#ing kid that thinks becoming a drug dealer will help them pay their bills (like seriously, what the @%&#, that's not anything I've EVER SUGGESTED to be a good idea, @%&#ing idiots letting their friends influence their life decisions).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Hey, so...

Doctor Who is in the new Lego Dimensions.

Daleks are integral to Doctor Who.

Better Off Ted mentions a Dalek in at least one episode (or has it in the background?  I dunno)

BETTER OFF TED IS AN AWESOME TV SHOW

got cancelled way too early

I will spend a grand on Lego Dimensions.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Funny story about Skylanders, they approached Nintendo before they got their start and Nintendo turned them down, then they became a runaway success. Nintendo is trying their own thing as well as Disney in the wake of that success

I've been looking into Skylanders recently as I got an art commission to draw one of the characters, from the videos I've seen it's produced really well, great sense of humor!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

There's been a lot of resilience in the Skylanders line.  First there was the Skylanders.  Then there was the Skylanders Giants series, and it all worked together, then the Skylanders Swap Force, and then Skylanders Trap Team.  All the figure are interchangeable, and all the games have great voice talents.

I'm not sure if experienced gamers will be all that interested, but for kids who don't know any of the typical gaming tropes, the games are great fun.  Like I said before, Patrick Warburton does an awesome job as a voice-over artist, but the rest are great, too.  My 9yo son doesn't know any better because he doesn't know any of the tropes, he has a great time playing the games.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Man, I'm glad to hear that. Like for once you have a game that has a good balance of gameplay, toys and FUN that just about anyone can enjoy, that's good!

It could have very easily been the other way.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I'm just saying that experienced gamers might not like it as much because of the tropes and gameplay isn't all that original, and it's a pretty darned expensive game, and all.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 27, 2015, 07:57:20 PM
Yeah, I'm just saying that experienced gamers might not like it as much because of the tropes and gameplay isn't all that original, and it's a pretty darned expensive game, and all.

The commission I'm doing is for someone who's nearly 30

It might not be the latest high tier strategy game but from what I hear it's fun... and fun is what matters (which is also why Splatoon and Mario Maker are such huge successes I guess)
By Grabthar's Hammer