VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage

Started by Mr. Analog, May 30, 2011, 06:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I found it a little dizzying at first but pretty amazing imho
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 30, 2011, 08:36:48 AM
pretty amazing imho

No words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful...

similar: "A Space Opera" ... and of course the classic PBD.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 02, 2011, 10:59:39 AM
amazingly, related: http://apelad.blogspot.com/2011/05/laugh-out-loud-cats-1696.html

Heh, nice!

Though outside it seems like all you see these days is that puke-orange light reflecting from the city

How am I supposed to use my cheap-ass 1960s refractor telescope?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 02, 2011, 11:16:33 AM
amazingly, related: http://apelad.blogspot.com/2011/05/laugh-out-loud-cats-1696.html

Heh, nice!

Though outside it seems like all you see these days is that puke-orange light reflecting from the city

Move out here! Sky is relatively clear.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 02, 2011, 12:06:02 PM

Heh, nice!

Move out here! Sky is relatively clear.

meh

LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Easy.  Hook up a thousand window air conditioners in your place.  This will cause a huge current draw, which will cause the cables supplying you with electricity to heat up, which will cause them to sag, which will cause them to touch a tree and short out, which will cause a cascading failure in the system, which (if the code in the alarm software is properly borked) will not cause an alarm, which will cause The Prairies to black out.

Voila, no more lights for a night, and a beautiful dark sky to gaze at.

Oh, and I was referring to the Northeast Blackout of 2003, where some crappy code got stuck in a race condition and shut off all the alarms!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 02, 2011, 01:02:28 PM
Easy.  Hook up a thousand window air conditioners in your place.  This will cause a huge current draw, which will cause the cables supplying you with electricity to heat up, which will cause them to sag, which will cause them to touch a tree and short out, which will cause a cascading failure in the system, which (if the code in the alarm software is properly borked) will not cause an alarm, which will cause The Prairies to black out.

!

Thorin

No I'm not, all I did was hook up a whole bunch of appliances to the electrical grid.  If they've built it correctly, nothing should happen.  In the case of the 2003 Northeast Blackout, they didn't build it correctly.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 02, 2011, 02:07:25 PM
No I'm not, all I did was hook up a whole bunch of appliances to the electrical grid.  If they've built it correctly, nothing should happen.  In the case of the 2003 Northeast Blackout, they didn't build it correctly.
Two main issues. That bug you mentioned, and FirstEnergy not doing regular maintenance around high voltage lines, and FirstEnergy ignoring warnings from other power stations.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

QuoteT.V. Interviewer: How do you account for the fact that the bombing campaign has been going on for thirteen years?
Mr. Helpmann: Beginners' luck.

:D

I need a Clear-Sky-inator or something...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 02, 2011, 02:49:44 PM
QuoteT.V. Interviewer: How do you account for the fact that the bombing campaign has been going on for thirteen years?
Mr. Helpmann: Beginners' luck.

:D

I need a Clear-Sky-inator or something...

Uhh... wuht?  Sorry, I don't get the reference and you've provided no link to anything...  Was this from an actual interview somewhere?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful