Cell Phone Reunion

Started by Thorin, April 05, 2012, 02:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Okay, this one made me laugh, right from the "no beepers" sign on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8OcPGScRU&feature=related

It's an animated short of what happens at the Cell Phone Reunion.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think I liked the end after the credits the best :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I do wonder what percentage of iPhones have some kind of Fart app on them...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 05, 2012, 03:16:29 PM
I do wonder what percentage of iPhones have some kind of Fart app on them...
Siri? ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

DAMMIT! Why oh why did I link to CH...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6749695/dr-who-rpg

brilliance*, as usual.

And I was never even "into" 8bit rpgs.

*HUGE spoiler warning, for those who have watched some, but not all, of the last couple of series of Doctor Who.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 05, 2012, 03:45:00 PM
Hahahah that was bang on!
as is this blonde joke that doesn't reveal the protagonist as a blonde, but man oh man is it implied...

http://www.collegehumor.com/upick/6740205/missing-the-point

Thorin

That's the entire season wrapped with a nice little bow, right there.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 05, 2012, 03:53:53 PM
That's the entire season wrapped with a nice little bow, right there.

and this is the entire SERIES (i.e. collection of every season, combined) wrapped up in a nice little comic reference:

(man alive, http://1loop.com/ is addictive... and gives the prankster in me new ideas...)

Thorin

Well, no, there was that whole era where the Doctor was trapped on Earth so wasn't really traveling anywhere.  Third Doctor, I think?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 11, 2012, 03:18:11 PM
Well, no, there was that whole era where the Doctor was trapped on Earth so wasn't really traveling anywhere.  Third Doctor, I think?

Yes, the Pertwee era. Some great stories there...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Okay sorry, I mean sums it up for the audience that wasn't born back then -- when the solid stories were overlooked cuz they were hidden behind lower production values, cheesy sets and whatnot.

Kinda like how ST:TOS is recognized today as better writing than most of the other series, but initially the "old stuff" was dismissed cuz of how badly the visible stuff "aged". I know the "early stuff" for Doctor Who was good storytelling (heck, Douglas Adams pretty much "found himself" among that crowd) but nowadays it is pretty much irrefutable how "fun" the show is, adventure after adventure (with a great all-around cast going on those adventures) Vicarious Living ftw!

Mr. Analog

Well, I know I wasn't watching Dr. Who until 1981 or so but thanks to syndication in the 80s/90s I was able to watch the entire series multiple times.

Some people do rag on poor sets sadly, like you say, if the story is gripping it overshadows the fact that the Doctor has been to this quarry about a dozen times.

Oddly enough some of the stunts that looked fake in the show were actually done (there's a 4th Doctor story [Hand of Fate maybe?] where Tom Baker did his own stunt and actually went over a rail dropping several stories onto a mat in a nuclear power station, the way they filmed it in the final cut though doesn't make it look all that impressive, perhaps something to do with BBCs censoring anything too exciting on television). Oh and when a story isn't exactly up to snuff the weak sets/effects really hurt (I'm lookin' at you Starlost).

Speaking of ST:ToS I rather enjoy the austere sets and even some of the matte paintings they did, even compared to the HD versions.

So yeah! Cellphones! Like communicators, but smaller and with dumber interfaces.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog link=topic=8611.msg59180#msg59180
Speaking of ST:ToS I rather enjoy the austere sets and even some of the matte paintings they did, even compared to the HD versions.

So yeah! Cellphones! Like communicators, but smaller and with dumber interfaces.

To me I often overlooked the cheap sets and bad acting, but the mattes were always amazing. Its enduring success is cuz it was always all about the HUMAN stories; overlooking the sometimes-obvious-world-government-promoting, most of ToS storylines got you THINKING, maybe even acting differently (or considering it) ... the way good scifi does.