Main Menu

Nap Time

Started by Thorin, June 11, 2012, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Here's a new product to help you handle those wallet-draining crap factories (aka children): http://youtu.be/AF_nfazQaek

Yes, obviously a satire.  Still hilarious!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I was thinking of sharing that on facebook but DAMN it goes to a few dark places.....

I still found it funny, but ya, I know a lot of people who would not.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Then you know a lot of people who either haven't experienced a difficult child, are too sensitive, or both.

And they probably don't like the way Louis C.K. speaks about children, either.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 11, 2012, 03:30:14 PM
Then you know a lot of people who either haven't experienced a difficult child, are too sensitive, or both.

And they probably don't like the way Louis C.K. speaks about children, either.

Well there where three bits that where extreme to me:
- baby in the sink food disposal
- "I feel pregnant" gut punch
- unseen infant sprayed directly " she hasn't made an noise in weeks... I keep her in a shoebox"  now that is dark right there.

Mr. Analog

Well you could take things in a different direction, get the kids excited with some Circletine

*not recommended for Grandpa
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well, it is supposed to display parents at their wits end / regretting ever having a child / wishing they could just shut it up to get some sleep.

You have a couple of kids now, have either of them hit the stage of communicating via tantrums?  One of ours had tantrums from age two to age nine.  Imagine a nine year old having a complete meltdown on you twice a day after having done the same for the last seven years.  A big part of the later years had to do with bad coaches.

And I know people who have experiences that make my little story there seem pale in comparison.  When I put myself in their shoes, I can certainly imagine having such dark thoughts, just as I can understand what frame of mind Robert Latimer was in when he killed his daughter (although I completely disagree with his actions).

Yes, it's kind of like gallows humour, but for some people it really does feel like they're at the end of their rope and sometimes a joke like this is enough to kick them out of their despair by laughing at it.  And for the rest of us this can be a refresher on what you should _not_ do.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

It's an over the top parody, I know some people get bothered by stuff but yeesh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 11, 2012, 04:09:53 PM
Well, it is supposed to display parents at their wits end / regretting ever having a child / wishing they could just shut it up to get some sleep.

You have a couple of kids now, have either of them hit the stage of communicating via tantrums?  One of ours had tantrums from age two to age nine.  Imagine a nine year old having a complete meltdown on you twice a day after having done the same for the last seven years.  A big part of the later years had to do with bad coaches.

And I know people who have experiences that make my little story there seem pale in comparison.  When I put myself in their shoes, I can certainly imagine having such dark thoughts, just as I can understand what frame of mind Robert Latimer was in when he killed his daughter (although I completely disagree with his actions).

Yes, it's kind of like gallows humour, but for some people it really does feel like they're at the end of their rope and sometimes a joke like this is enough to kick them out of their despair by laughing at it.  And for the rest of us this can be a refresher on what you should _not_ do.

I have a child with a developmental delay who frequently has tantrums and has scared my face and neck with scratching frequently. Also many many nights of children screaming on top of my already detrimental sleep issues. Restraint or escape are frequent thoughts along with some screaming in the inside, but never direct physical harm. Being a parent is NOT EASY, period! I did find the video over all funny, but again I think it crossed the line a few times.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 11, 2012, 04:17:11 PM
It's an over the top parody, I know some people get bothered by stuff but yeesh

"just cuz it's kinda true doesn't make it funny"? (cf. Family Guy attempting to make a statement about women not making sense to men)

edit: Lazy, sorry to hear that -- kids are tough enough sometimes... at least by their teenage years you can attempt to use logic and reason to reach their hormone-flooded brains... they occasionally surprise ya :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Tantrums - sometimes you just have to let them go and exhaust themselves, other times you have to follow the interrupt-and-distract tactic, but never do you ever have to care what strangers think.  I've learned that it's very important to pick your battles and to only say no if you're going to continue saying no.  Having suffered through a tantrumnic child (is that even a word?) I feel for you and hope they end sooner rather than later.

Easy parenting - a couple of my kids were actually pretty easy to raise, and with us working hard at making them get along with each other the load has been somewhat reduced.  Or maybe time is erasing all the bad memories.

Physical harm - yeah, that part's a bit dark.  However, there are real-life incidences of people doing very similar things to their children to escape whatever bonds they think their children have placed on them.  And it seems to me that this video was playing on the idea of people pushed to the limit by their kids; although a typical parent's limit is probably way higher than what is displayed in this video.

Teenagers - at this age they typically forget everything you taught them and you wonder why you even bothered to teach them anything (there are exceptions to this rule and you should be ecstatic if you have a teen who remembers the lessons you taught them).  At some point, though, they'll stop listening to their peers and start remembering what you taught them (some don't hit that until they're thirty).  That's when you finally get to see the fruit of your labours, all that time spent teaching them right from wrong.

Anyway, although I might secretly wish I could just use chloroform Nap Time on kids, I'm never going to because I fully understand why that is wrong.  As opposed to the operator of the dayhome that was closed in St Albert a few years ago after investigators discovered she was feeding the kids Nyquil to get them to sleep all day (she also had 22 children in her "care", instead of the max of 6).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Yeah, I posted that on FB, a couple people didn't think it was amusing :(
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I'm guessing the people who got upset over that don't really like the Kids In Cages joke pics: http://granades.com/2009/06/04/kids-and-cages-go-together-like-apples-and-razor-blades/

In fact, they may even try to suggest it's horrible because people do it for real: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360314/Parents-kept-children-metal-cages-beat-fed-pet-food.html

However, I look at those two links and realize one is tongue-in-cheek while the other describes two monsters who shouldn't even get bail, leave be such low bail.

Also, CIRCLETIIIIIIIINE!  Poor Grampa.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Again, over all I found it funny, yet those three examples in bad taste, I guess because my brain connects the next step.

Baby leg in food disposal?
Imagining a still silent infant discarded in a shoebox.
Miscarriage due to abdominal trauma?

A bunch of passed out kids... funny
Bags over their heads, not so funny, but kid is still speaking and saies they can't breath so well but OK, we can go with it it is acting.
Running off from a date, kinda funny.
passed out person in trunk? not so funny but hell we see it on law and order / csi every week or any spy movie with a kidnapping.

Thorin

Okay, well, I guess those three acts your brain are connecting with dead children.  In that case, none of the video should be funny to you because chronic chloroform inhalation also causes death: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/chloroform/recognition.html#evaluation see "Signs and symptoms of exposure" -> "1. Acute exposure" -> "Prolonged inhalation causes paralysis, cardiac and respiratory failure, and death [Sax and Lewis 1989; Genium 1992]."

Those passed-out kids, are you sure they're passed out and not dead from overexposure?  And is it only funny because you don't think they're dead?  What if they were dead and you didn't know it and you were laughing at it?  Maybe to me it's all at the same level of bad taste because I know how bad chloroform is for ya - I learned about it a long time ago when I was in the hospital and had a long talk with a bored anaesthesiologist about old-timey surgery (liquid Valium is way better for you and feels way better as it takes effect).  Even knowing that kids easily die from overexposure to chloroform (much quicker than adults due to underdeveloped blood cleansing organs), I still laugh at the joke because in the recesses of my mind, in the dark, I sometimes wish there was some easy way like this to just stop kids from screaming and crying.

But there isn't, so I've learned and followed these rules:
1. determine if you're going to eventually say yes, and if you are skip the tantrum and say yes now
2. know the difference between the pay-attention-to-me cry, the I'm-too-tired-to-sleep-but-someone's-crying-and-keeping-me-awake cry, and the I'm-hurt-ow-ow-ow cry (they all require different approaches)
3. if you're at your wit's end, put baby down and leave the room; losing your temper while they're in your arms is hazardous to their health
4. never ever care about what others think about your crying baby; they don't have to put up with it for months and years - same with any age of kid, really
5. some tantrums can be interrupted (loud noise, bright light, TV, cup of juice, hanging upside down - toddlers or older) and then redirected (get 'em to do something they like), while others just have to run their course; no matter what, give a hug at the end when they're done
6. some kids recover quicker when left alone, others recover quicker when comforted - there's only one way to find out and that's trial and error
7. always say, "I don't like when you act like that" if kids start a tantrum - eventually they'll understand that you love them (you give 'em hugs after tantrums) but that's not the same as always liking their behaviour

But still, [SCREAM] [spritz-spritz] -silence- is funny to me, even though knowing that spritz-spritz might just kill that child.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful