Main Menu

Nap Time

Started by Thorin, June 11, 2012, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

If I saw someone /actually/ do anything in that video I'd be super horrified. But watching it in a video that is clearly meant in jest? We are amused.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 11, 2012, 05:27:50 PM
Anyway, although I might secretly wish I could just use chloroform Nap Time on kids, I'm never going to because I fully understand why that is wrong.  As opposed to the operator of the dayhome that was closed in St Albert a few years ago after investigators discovered she was feeding the kids Nyquil to get them to sleep all day (she also had 22 children in her "care", instead of the max of 6).

Yikes -- would like to know more about that news story, but could not find it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22St+Albert%22+dayhome+charged+Nyquil

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Yeah, I searched for a bit too but couldn't find anything about it.  I sure remember it, though, it was here in St Albert, not too far from where we live.  The law says you need a dayhome license to have more than 6 kids in your care; she had 22.  When parents came to pick up their kids they'd have to stay at the front door and she'd go get the child(ren).  Probably so that no one could see how many she actually had.  Immediately after kids were dropped off, she'd give them their Nyquil and they'd doze away the day.

If we paid more to childcare workers there'd be more of them.  If there were more of them, we could demand more certification and better personality tests (to filter out people who only care about the money, like that lady).  If we had better certification and better screening, stories like that might be stamped out.

But paying more to childcare workers would require either parents to pay more (so have less cash to pay for other bills), or for the government to subsidize more (so everyone gets taxed more and has less cash for other bills).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful