Fallout. Online. Now available.

Started by Darren Dirt, October 29, 2018, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 25, 2018, 07:51:25 AM
It's dropped in price, twice already...

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-drops-in-price-again-to-dollar35/

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Tempting but not cheap enough yet for me :( with its current state.  I'd be buying it not to play it till after Jan.  Looking around $20 or so for me to pick it up now :D.  Thanks for letting us know though!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

So guess who got 76 for XMas?  I am so lost though on what to do... is there a good how-to vid or guide you recommend Mr. Analog?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 15, 2019, 07:13:38 PM
So guess who got 76 for XMas?  I am so lost though on what to do... is there a good how-to vid or guide you recommend Mr. Analog?
The first quest is to follow the footsteps of the Overseer from there you should get the First Responders series of quests. Those quests send you around places where you'll find more quests. After that its all about exploring, finding audio logs / robots / terminals, monsters, challenges and loot.

If you want to absorb the lore listen to all the audio logs / read all the terminals otherwise just click through them once your map marker / quest log updates.

As you get higher level you'll find enemies get fairly bullet-spongey. Oh yeah not all junk items are created equally and inventory space is limited, 3D Fallout / Skyrim games are generally a kleptomaniac's dream EXCEPT this one. Only keep what you intend on using.

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 15, 2019, 08:36:12 PM
The first quest is to follow the footsteps of the Overseer from there you should get the First Responders series of quests. Those quests send you around places where you'll find more quests. After that its all about exploring, finding audio logs / robots / terminals, monsters, challenges and loot.

If you want to absorb the lore listen to all the audio logs / read all the terminals otherwise just click through them once your map marker / quest log updates.

As you get higher level you'll find enemies get fairly bullet-spongey. Oh yeah not all junk items are created equally and inventory space is limited, 3D Fallout / Skyrim games are generally a kleptomaniac's dream EXCEPT this one. Only keep what you intend on using.

When do I see other actual players?  Its a ghost town here...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 15, 2019, 08:58:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 15, 2019, 08:36:12 PM

When do I see other actual players?  Its a ghost town here...
You should be able to see other players marked on your map. If somehow you are on an empty server you can change the server you are connected to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Fallout 76 player who spent 900 hours in-game says they've been banned for having too much ammo

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-player-who-spent-900-hours-in-game-says-theyve-been-banned/

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

"The need to own is being supplanted with a need to experience things and a desire to try"

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/columns/the-future-of-gaming-is-subscription-1203146012/
-EA senior vice president of player network Michael Blank

"Despite the growing interest from consumers and publishers in subscription-based gaming, it likely won?t fully replace traditional physical ownership or digital purchasing. Music and movie sales aren?t dead, they?ve just been eclipsed. The same is likely to happen with games..."

("Hey gamers, you know all your base that you THOUGHT you owned? Nope, it belong to us! [and there is nothing you can do now to stop us...]")

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 26, 2019, 02:04:39 PM
"The need to own is being supplanted with a need to experience things and a desire to try"

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/columns/the-future-of-gaming-is-subscription-1203146012/
-EA senior vice president of player network Michael Blank

"Despite the growing interest from consumers and publishers in subscription-based gaming, it likely won?t fully replace traditional physical ownership or digital purchasing. Music and movie sales aren?t dead, they?ve just been eclipsed. The same is likely to happen with games..."
So...

#1 I'm not sure why this is in this thread

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 26, 2019, 02:04:39 PM
("Hey gamers, you know all your base that you THOUGHT you owned? Nope, it belong to us! [and there is nothing you can do now to stop us...]")

And...

#2 Physical/Digital media really means what to you?  Subscription based gaming is nothing new... MMOs have been doing it for years, and most of those you had to Buy the initial product, then pay the subscription.

What does Subscription based gaming give you today?  Services like XBOX Live Pass, or Origin Access allow you to play titles like Anthem, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, etc without having to pay full price and potentially be disappointed with your purchase.  The option is still there to purchase those games at this time as well (usually with a discount if you have the subscription), so that concept is still not gone.

So I don't quite get what you are pointing out here?  I personally think Subscription based gaming is a great way to get at titles I would have had to drop $100s on to just play.  In the absence of demos/free trials or the concept of shareware, I think this is probably the next best thing for consumers to try products.  And hey, for the convenience of it I will probably end up paying more for a game like Anthem over the course of 2 years, probably 3x over for that title alone... that is ONLY if it is the only game I play from that Subscription service - which it is not.  So for me, the cost per month saves me money as I will likely play 15-20 titles a year from the Subscription service, which will be far less than $60 (average cost of game) * 20 (titles) at a total cost of $1,200, where as a subscription of even $20/month is going to cost me only $240 that year! Hell having both XBOX Live Pass, XBOX Gold, EA Access, and Playstation Plus is still just over $600 / year, and that alone gives me access to over 400 unique games to play on 3 separate devices (which I will probably play at least 10 per device over the course of a year, so make that $60*30 if bought outright).

Sorry if this comes across a bit targeted... I'm a little on edge recently around negative comments or insinuations towards EA as I am watching BioWare's latest IP (Anthem) take a blasting based on biases of EA opinions and DICE's Battlefield 5 getting racked because it too is an EA distroed game.

Mr. Analog

I hear this a lot about Fallout 76 the thing is it's designed for multiplayer, if they were trying to "SIM City" a single player Fallout game I wouldn't buy it.

Not all server only games are evil, but if you don't want to support that kind of behavior then don't buy into it. For the rest of us who might enjoy online subscription based games back down [emoji12]

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The below post is far less off-topic than the one above.

I thought of this thread when I saw "Fallout 76" mentioned -- because so many of you guys are VERY passionate fans of the series (up until ... 76).

Q: Do you way-more-gamer-than-me guys agree with these "examples of the anti-consumer, corporatist** behavior in nerdom" in 2018?

>>> https://www.geeksandgamers.com/corporatism-vs-nerdom-repeating-industry-killing-mistakes/

...and if so, what can the individual consumer do to remind the "entertainment industry" of the primacy in importance of that FIRST word?
Other than maybe try to be the next RLM by pointing out the sad reality through humor...

** be mindful of the difference between the 2 "C" words -- "Capitalism, however, is not the culprit though. It is Corporatism, the collective mentality of the corporation that views workers as interchangeable and customers as lacking options."

Melbosa

Well video game industry is today the #1 entertainment industry, so if look solely at that industry for targeted revenue for a company, then of course the market will be flooded with much more crap than golden gems.  As then you are seeing expansion by companies that aren't even in the space adding to it (Google, Amazon both coming with Consoles) and some companies expanding into the space beyond their historical access (nVidia Sheild for example), the chances that the industry will continue to be driven by money grabbers is higher and higher.

I'm scared somewhat for the big names in video games and the consumers that like their products: Blizzard, EA, id, Valve, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo.  There is way more accessibility and cross access of titles, mobile platforms, competition from outside, from crowd funding, etc. that can eat away at them, which will push them to release titles faster/more variety to try to grab the more of the market.  This means the consumer will have to either stretch their wallet or be very selective, and that can only lead to some form of crash I think...

Then again, gaming has now full professional players, leagues and such.  Gamers are cool, iconic and celebs.  Something like Ready Player One is very possible as well.

Either way, as you put it, corporatism will be very much in play from the bigger names.  The indie/crowd funders may be the ones that can survive the corporatism, but then again they probably will be bought out/locked in by the big names anyway (just look at https://phoenixpoint.info/epic and the creator of XCom, started as a crowd funded independent on many platforms and is now an Epic exclusive on PC).

Darren Dirt

HOLYCRAPLOL

"The Fall of 76"
by Internet Historian**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8

4,098,532 views in 8 days.

The description of the Duffel Kerfuffle alone is just absolutely brilliant.

**apologies for the new addiction -- the Kony 2012 bid is both hilarious AND insightful! Kinda ditto for the MySpace analysis.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1D15p_vdP3HkrH8wgjQRw/videos

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 12, 2019, 11:53:07 AM
HOLYCRAPLOL

"The Fall of 76"
by Internet Historian**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8

4,098,532 views in 8 days.

The description of the Duffel Kerfuffle alone is just absolutely brilliant.

Speaking of Fallout 76...

E3 2019 supercut

Pretty much what you expected it would be, probably. Especially funny @ 1:44 :)
(These virtual monopoly megacorps sure make it easy to be a cynic, don't they.)

Mr. Analog

Finally adding NPCs and human raiders into the game A+

Adding a Battle Royale mode? F--

WOOOH guy F-------
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 20, 2019, 05:58:40 PM
Finally adding NPCs and human raiders into the game A+

Adding a Battle Royale mode? F--

WOOOH guy F-------

In the supercut I shared, I love how the guys announcing BR think they will get a positive reaction...