Poker night at Dirtman's Thursday 15Nov2007 (reduced stakes)

Started by Darren Dirt, October 29, 2007, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Darren, how does the pot get paid back out if someone leaves?  Will you have many pennies to pay out partial dollars?  If everyone throws in a five-dollar bill but I leave early and cash out $3.40, will you have a toonie and a loonie and a quarter and a dime and a nickel available to pay me out?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2007, 02:49:17 PM
Darren, how does the pot get paid back out if someone leaves?  Will you have many pennies to pay out partial dollars?  If everyone throws in a five-dollar bill but I leave early and cash out $3.40, will you have a toonie and a loonie and a quarter and a dime and a nickel available to pay me out?

Yeah, since it's a cash game you can trade your chips back for real $$ anytime you want (although if you return to the table, normally you have to buyin for at least what you left it with, i.e. "table stakes", although with Limit games that's less of an issue)

I'll make sure to have lots of quarters at least, so if cashing out means you're short or extra 5 or 10 cents it's no biggie...

I just dumped my wallet this morning (Wed. 07November), I had dozens of quarters and dimes and nickels, so there will be no problem in "making change", definitely.

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2007, 12:02:47 PM
That would be Thursday November 15th?  I cannot commit at this time; CowGirl's birthday is Friday November 16th and we're trying to plan D&D for Saturday November 17th.  Put me down as interested but not yet committed to coming.
Okay, so sounds like we've got at least 3 or 4 able to make it, and my friend Ryan that I used to work with is interested in joining us as well. More are welcome, and again I hope to make this a bi-weekly thing most likely.

Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2007, 12:22:09 PM
Hmm, From the games I played on my DS, I disliked limit. You couldn't go all in or something iirc.

I doubt you'll be bored (it's unlikely we'll have a full table of 10 players!) and not everyone is going to play super "tight" (not even me -- I like action, Sammy Farha and Gus Hansen are by far my favorite players ;D )

And keep in mind that a No Limit, or even Pot Limit, game is going to be very different than a Limit game -- not necessarily more or less exciting, not even more or less skill-dependent. Just different. Different strategies are required, and even those have to be varied depending on how your opponents are playing, and even on how you think your opponents think you are playing, etc...

Plus, I don't want someone to bust out because they pushed their whole stack in on the third hand with KK preflop and got called by someone with A5 who thought they were bluffing, then pairs their Ace on the river. That makes for good TV poker, and exciting tournament action, but that would drastically reduce the amount of fun we can have in our friendly social game.

"Get Rich Or Die Trying" is not the goal of Poker Night At Dirtman's :)

Also, I said we're playing Dealer's Choice, meaning when you are the Dealer you can choose to play a different game other than normal Texas Holdem if you wish. So trust me, the option to play Pineapple or Razz or Omaha, or even 7-Stud, will make it anything but "monotonous" -- especially when for some people it's their first time giving it a try, or when someone decides to go crazy bluffing or calling down a maniac bluffer, etc.

See you guys next Thursday.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

PS: looks like anyone who might have been concerned now doesn't have to worry about a certain someone wanting to bring a certain someone... Too bad that first someone decides to jump ship and ignore the suggestions from well-meaning friends that what he is jumping into might just be dangerous waters... :sigh:

Tom

next thurs? for some reason I thought it was tomorrow.. I'll let you know closer to the 15th if I can come or not (I'll likely need a ride too :()
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Yeah well here I go again changing the thread title ;)

It's moved to next week mainly out of respect for Thorin. Should be next Thursday, November 15th, for sure. :)

- - -

I will update the following "attendee list" but here's what I am presuming based on responses so far...

Mr. Analog = High Probability
Tom = High Probability (unless ride is an issue)
Shayne =  (?) Possible (now that it's reasonable stakes ;) )
Thorin = Possible/Probable (?)
Ryan (Darren's friend) = High Probability
Warren (Darren's brother) = Unlikely (shiftwork :( )
Darren = Of Course

Please correct me if I am wrong, if I missed you or someone you think might be interested, or if you know more certainly over the next few days...

PS: I put it on the calendar as well, in the future I will make sure to create the thread with a calendar entry so it's easier for the [semi-]regular participants to double-check the date. Should be every second Thursday, my guess.

Tom

Well, where do you live? I have to ETS'it anywhere normally. Somewhere like St. Albert is a bit much, I used to work out there, and had a 2hr+ trip each way, for my normal 4-8hr shifts (the 2-3hr shifts were extremely annoying).

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 07, 2007, 05:11:43 PM
Well, where do you live? I have to ETS'it anywhere normally. Somewhere like St. Albert is a bit much, I used to work out there, and had a 2hr+ trip each way, for my normal 4-8hr shifts (the 2-3hr shifts were extremely annoying).

Really close to Southgate and Whitemud Crossing. I can PM you directions if you need, but if you can get to SG by bus there's plenty from there that get nearby Chez Dirt.

Tom

Yeah, SG isn't a real problem. it just takes a while.

time it out:
Walk to buss: 10-20min (depending on weather)
bus into Clairview: 15-25min (depending on the time of day, takes different routes)
Clairview to univ/downtown: 15/20
univ/downtown to SG: (I can't recall for sure, I haven't done the SG run since I lived out by white ave) 15/30 min

All in all, anywhere from 55min to 95min. Just to southgate. eep. That assumes perfect connections, as if It was one bus, and I never got off. Add in bad timing, and having to wait for the next bus on any/all of them... It gets to be quite a long trip.

Thorin

I'm coming.  I'll be driving.  Tom, be downtown at 5pm so you can hop in my car to get to Chez Dirt.  I'll give ya a ride home afterwards, too.  Mr. Analog, same.  Darren, please PM me your address.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

You guys have fun next week!  If I am done v-ball early enough I might come visit, as it will probably be on my way home ;)
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on November 08, 2007, 08:45:12 AM
You guys have fun next week!  If I am done v-ball early enough I might come visit, as it will probably be on my way home ;)

OMG! Melbosa available? Is that the fourth, or the fifth seal in Revelation? ;)

Melbosa

Hmmmm maybe I won't come then... wouldn't want to ruin a reputation.

BTW, I make a lot of stuff... just nothing you are involved in.... so maybe that says something :P :D j/k bud, sorry haven't been able to meet up with you in a while.  I'll try and make it for a late visit if at all possible.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 08, 2007, 08:24:44 AM
I'm coming.  I'll be driving.  Tom, be downtown at 5pm so you can hop in my car to get to Chez Dirt.  I'll give ya a ride home afterwards, too.  Mr. Analog, same.  Darren, please PM me your address.
You rule :)

I did realize something last night though, I may or may not have a major delivery that day. My new windows were said to be delivered on Nov 15th, now, HomeDespot usually delivers at like 7am, so I should be good, OR they come a month late like we expect, and I'll still be ok to come ;) Thorin, I'll call you before 5 if I can't make it, so you can just leave without cursing my name ;D (though you might want to anyway, some people like that sort of thing), and I'll post here saying if I can't make it. Otherwise I'm good to go.

Darren Dirt

Updated "attendee list"...

Warren (Darren's brother) = nope

Ryan (Darren's friend) = nope, next time probably

Thorin = "coming. driving." (bringing Tom and Mr. Analog)

Tom = see above

Mr. Analog = u r smart enough to figure this out

Darren = oh come on seriously?

Shayne =  still unknown -- hopefully he'll let us know today or tomorrow

HandsomeDevil = nope, but next time maybe

TheDruid = realized last week I forgot to mention him as a possible, but haven't heard from him in a while, so who knows if he's too busy working insane hours at That Place. (obviously the invitation is open to any RW'er in Edmonchuk -- plus any of your rich friends who "watch poker on TV, and want to give it a try" ;) )

- - - - - - -

plus... A Surprise Visit From Melbosa!  :o

Bixby

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 13, 2007, 09:14:58 AM
...(obviously the invitation is open to any RW'er in Edmonchuk...

Guess I am out then.
*calls to cancel hotel booking, informs travel agent to cancel flight*
:P