Main Menu

UniFi AR

Started by Lazybones, May 30, 2020, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

This actually looks like a practical and useful way to use AR.. NEAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mg3A7Jr5A

Melbosa

I'm using Ubiquiti products a lot on my client sites.  I like their products and they do tend to be very forward/uniquely thinking :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Yeah, that's pretty cool how it overlaps actual hardware with some extra information that normally you'd have to go look up in a config screen.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

That's pretty neat.

I've had ubnt aps for quite a while now. A while back used the older round AP Pro, and after that started getting capacitor whine (and then a short fall knocked said capacitor OFF the board) I eventually (prices and exchange rates spiked which made the price for a new one unpalatable) got a AP AC-Pro which I'm still using. In between I used an Asus router of some kind that's actually pretty good, but it doesn't look as nice on my halway ceiling ;D I think the AC-Pro is also more stable. but i have no evidence. I didn't use the asus router for very long.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I've use their switches, and AP Lites/Pros.  Love it all, no complaints :D.  My house is using 3 of their switches right now in fact.  And I'm moving to their APs someday :D.

Tom

I've been really happy with my netgear switches. none of this plastic nonsense. all metal all the time. One of them is an 8 port managed/smart PoE jobbie for cams and the AP. :D It was "dirt" cheap for a smart switch. The other is a big 24 port smart switch. no poe tho. It was on a big sale back when i got it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I was a fan of the Netgear stuff, but have had too many fail at client sites in recent years.  I have been swapping out for Ubiquiti as they fail.

Lazybones

I am running 3 Unifi-AC-Pro APs, two wired and one in mesh mode. (FYI most models can be run in mesh mode now)

I currently run two D-link Managed switches (also metal), an 8 port POE and a 16 port.. They were cheap... and they are managed but they are inconsistant, had to re-learn how to setup vLANs on them. While being in the same "series" they are clearly completely different platforms.

Would love to switch to Unifi gear but switch wise theare are a fair bit more.

Melbosa

Not sure what Ubiquiti switches you guys have experienced that were plastic in the past.  All the modern ones I have been using are metal.

If you are talking about the APs, well those are plastic, but then again so are ones from Cisco/Meraki, Juniper, etc.

You might be referring to consumer linksys or dlink, and yeah those things are plastic.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on June 05, 2020, 07:36:58 AMYou might be referring to consumer linksys or dlink, and yeah those things are plastic.

I was only noting the D-links I had where also mental, not suggesting the unifi ons where not. Even TP-Link has mental switches now so metal isn't really an indicator of quality.

With the introduction of the Dream Machine line etc I have been eyeing up going all unifi.. I currently use an EdgeRouter which is part of a seperate line of products, I would love to get all the management into the Unifi dashboard at some point.