Main Menu

Ark

Started by Mags, September 19, 2015, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mags

Anyone thought about playing Ark Survival Evolved? Been playing a ton of sp (free version ;)) might be cool to play with some people you could trust. (Lots of cheating and greefing going on on official servers I hear)
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mr. Analog

Yes, yes I have. But also been looking at Empyrion too

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

Watched some let's plays on that one. Interesting concept, but still has a ways to go I think.

Melbosa

I've been engrossed with D3 since the last patch.  I've played Ark before but haven't really dug to deep into it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I could have sworn we had an Ark thread here already (maybe I was talking about it elsewhere)

Anyway, the big problem I see with the game (from watching streams / let's plays) is unless you have a decent sized clan your stuff is going to get pilfered (much like Rust). So you'll see MANY devastated little places scattered around, once you can get established to the point where you can build decent defenses you are sort of at the end game (for now) but otherwise you log in and flip a coin to see whether or not anything you had survived the time you were logged out

Not every server is like this but most of the play I've seen so far the only thing you'll retain between sessions are your levels and your knowledge.

The other benefit to a large clan is you can get individuals to specialize different tech trees, that way you all advance faster, but you need people dedicated to crafting, hunting, etc. It's challenging
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 21, 2015, 01:31:53 PM
I could have sworn we had an Ark thread here already (maybe I was talking about it elsewhere)

Anyway, the big problem I see with the game (from watching streams / let's plays) is unless you have a decent sized clan your stuff is going to get pilfered (much like Rust). So you'll see MANY devastated little places scattered around, once you can get established to the point where you can build decent defenses you are sort of at the end game (for now) but otherwise you log in and flip a coin to see whether or not anything you had survived the time you were logged out

Not every server is like this but most of the play I've seen so far the only thing you'll retain between sessions are your levels and your knowledge.

The other benefit to a large clan is you can get individuals to specialize different tech trees, that way you all advance faster, but you need people dedicated to crafting, hunting, etc. It's challenging

Definetly good points there. Let first, yeah really only interested in mp if we get our own server (and if my connection can handle it.). I would suggest a pve server, and just have fun exploring, taming, and building. Then every once in awhile when we have the peeps have tournaments that they have now that you can run, like survival of the fittest (think hunger games with dinosaurs).

As for the skills, I had the same worry, but after playing sp, don't worry. There are loot drops that give blue prints that can fill in the holes. I have tonnes of skill points left on my current maxed out character and can make anything i feel i need.

The new alpha t-rexs (strongly recommend disabling the alpha raptors and carnos, they really really like to ruin your day) add a challange to even the highest level characters. They are also updating content weekly at worst.

Now its not without its flaws. There is still limited "game" at this point (much like minecraft is I would say). And bugs still abound. But it looks great, stable, and challenging. And i havent tried any of the tournaments (watch some of those survival of the fittest, they are pretty interesting) yet.

Mr. Analog

Ahh you got it after all eh?

Well maybe I should invest too

I have to say I'm getting the Minecraft itch again, something about fall...
By Grabthar's Hammer