interesting kickstarter ("tropes vs. women in video games")

Started by Darren Dirt, June 21, 2012, 05:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 27, 2013, 05:08:40 PM
Man that summary kinda makes me sad because it really illustrates how the developers didn't seem to really get what Tomb Raider was about ready.  I'm somewhat new to the series but the ONE thing that really stood out was the puzzles and exploring.

Actually, reading the entire article, I got the impression that exploring was still awesome -- and in fact was a big factor in adding to re-playability (i.e. exploring the parts of the world not required to complete the missions). Also I think the "smart AI" things that both your enemies AND your character do, that's a nice touch.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I've actually seen game play at this point and the majority is third-person platforming with the focus more on run and gun than puzzle solving
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Conan O'Brien, clueless gamer -- heartbroken* whenever Lara Croft dies

It's really nice to see Conan delivering his improvizational gold here. Plus you get to see actual gameplay. But mainly it's all about Conan's quick wit.  8) (his pervy, sexist, childish wit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc

*"just like high school"

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

And then skewered head... over and OVER AND OVER

g'gah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

The point is they are dumb, especially with almost no interaction from the player. Like you get to see Lara do all this super awesome stuff but really all you did was slightly interact with a cutscene.

It might not even have been as bad if the deaths were different (a la Dragon's Lair) but no, missed the tiny click "X" to survive and you get to see the same death over and over and ...

You know what game (also featuring a kick butt heroine) that had GREAT "quicktime" events? Bayonetta. You get to parts where you have to do crazy stuff to fight a massive baddie and even though you are getting prompted for input you are still doing things (like you have to spin a chain around to beat a giant dragon thing with a chunk of building, you do this by twirling the joystick around and around to build up momentum, it's more like a minigame than just something breaking up the action). That game never took power away from me, in fact it needed me to help Bayonetta do all this crazy ass stuff. With other games you just click a button to make awesome happen, so you really don't feel the reward, but if you miss it you get punished OVER AND OVER.

*le sigh*...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 21, 2012, 05:02:18 PM
sorta-related: did you know the recent Niagara Falls wire walk by Nik Wallenda was funded on indiegogo?

^ then he used a harness as a "just in case of a major slip-up you don't DIE".

Yesterday, Nik Wallenda exceeded the awesome/scary level of the Niagra Falls walk, when he took another 20-ish minute walk, broadcast live on the Discovery Channel*, in a much more ... dry ... environment -- this time in Navajo country 1500 feet above the Grand Canyon.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/23/skywire-nik-wallenda_n_3488161.html

And no harness:pray:

That's right, people could watch a man potentially fall to his death. Live.

Did Nik survive the walk? You'll find out, when we return after these commercial messages!

* see what Nik saw! http://skywire.discovery.com/360.html

nature is pretty awesome ain't it?
awe, yeah!