RL Babel Fish! Google Translate app + Word Lens augmented reality

Started by Darren Dirt, February 09, 2015, 12:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Google Glass seems to be the ideal platform for Word Lens.

I have yet to see a "that makes sense" or "That is much better than looking at my phone" app demonstrated for google class.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on February 09, 2015, 02:09:35 PM
Google Glass seems to be the ideal platform for Word Lens.

I have yet to see a "that makes sense" or "That is much better than looking at my phone" app demonstrated for google class.

It looks to be a great, very valuable app to have when needed -- that works pretty decently RIGHT NOW on your mobile phone, no Glass required (or MS Hololens*, or whatever Apple's equiv is gonna be called...)

Sure, in the Glass platform it's gonna be more integrated into your field of view, but to me the most amazing thing is not the app but that it's the result of a virtual "one man development shop" (two in this case) -- a passionate and smart mind was able to build something because he saw a gap in the marketplace (not to make mega-bucks) and it does such a valuable but complex function, right out of the gate working pretty much the way you would imagine wanting it to -- way back when there wasn't even any real competition for the iPhone. Imagine what kind of improvements are gonna fall into place now that Big G is backing the project!

* lol, in this Daily Mail article from October 2013, one comment said "Call it the Microlens." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2472011/Microsoft-gets-answer-Google-Glass-ready.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.